Mondeo steering/braking problem

It's an Mk1 Mondeo with a strange problem. When driving straight, the steering wheel is off-center. Then, when I brake, the wheel comes back to center and stays there even after releasing the brake, and the car continues to go straight. Very soon (or immediately if I accelerate) the steering wheel goes off again. If I hold the steering wheel loosely during this brake-accelerate action and allow it to go off and back to center, there is no pull to either side. On the other hand, if I hold the wheel firmly, the car pulls to one side on braking and to the other side when I release the brake and accelerate - I have to "readjust" the wheel on braking and accelerating. There is no free play in the steering wheel.

When driving, it feels as if one of the car wheels literally comes back to normal position when braking and then, soon after the brake is released, abruptly strays away, resulting in a need to compensate this with the steering wheel.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
scratch121

With play like that in the steering it shouldn't be on the road.

Reply to
Someone Else

loose or otherwise knackered track control arm is most likely

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yeah...take it straight to a garage. Either the steering rack or trackrod ends are worn to a point where they're DANGEROUS. It has long got past the point where it's "needs to get sorted next week" and is at "don't take the car out until it is fixed".

Reply to
Conor

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

would fail the MOT

"In my opinion, this vehicle is dangerous to drive because..."

Reply to
Adrian

Mostly, I'm a DIYer so I am aware of some of the risks. However I've been really busy lately and didn't find time to crawl under the car. Also, the car is quite driveable if you adapt your driving style so I disregarded the problem for too long. Anyway, thank you all for the warnings.

I guess, I'll take few minutes this evening to jack up the car and check the track rod ends. Not so long ago I renewed lower arm bushes so that should be fine.

Conor, if it was the steering rack shouldn't there be some free play or loss of power assist? Based on the symptoms, could it also be worn tie rods? I'll try to shake them...

Reply to
scratch121

I'm bloody glad you won't be driving the heap near my family.

Reply to
Someone Else

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

"...so I'm really not sure why you're making so much of a fuss about it, Officer..."

Reply to
Adrian

My dad drove a transit back from the midlands to essex. The steering box had exploded internally, it could turn left reasonably well, but could only just turn right a tiny bit, he managed it, but had real aggro when he had to turn round at the site of an accident, it took dozens of backwards and forwards to do it and of course it was within sight of the police, he got away with it, somehow !!! I would not have tried to drive it up my road, let alone any distance.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

not much of a fuss, I just wanted to get some opinions to help me diagnose the cause in case it proves not to be the usual things

I did get carried away a bit while describing it...

Reply to
scratch121

Are you sure I won't? You know, I do live around the block... ;-)

Reply to
scratch121

Disregard my previous reply to you, I've just noticed the "Officer" part. Should that day ever come, I think the Officer would be of the least concern... sorry, just read the Officer

Reply to
scratch121

Lucky to make it alive! Wait till the grandkids in their nuclear fusion propulsion, magnetic steering, neurogenic interface equipped flying machines hear about that one!

Reply to
scratch121

I once met a cavalier like that, the steering rack mount had sheared. Tie rods & suspensio/subframe bushes seem more likely though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Has this death trap actually got an MOT?

Reply to
Cobber

I had a problem not unlike yours with a Renault Savannah years ago. The bearings at the top of the McPherson struts had gone, allowing the wheels to change direction slightly when encountering bumps.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

ing:

It doesn't need one. I will use it to compete in the next Formula 1 season, once the Ferrari quits. :-))

Reply to
scratch121

Yes, will check that too, thanks. I've already replaced the RH side one because of the knocking, however, I did not experience simmilar steering problems while it was worn.

Reply to
scratch121

Depends on how it's decided to show itself up. Capper manual racks are notorious for it. Loss of power assist usually wouldn't occur.

Reply to
Conor

hm, on a first look, everything seems firm and tight and as it should be no free play, no slack...

Reply to
scratch121