Mondeo steering rack

I've got a lot of play in my mondeo steering rack, around the centre position (about .5 inch of play).

Last time I had this on a car, it was an old Vauxhall Victor FD and I was able to adjust it with some shims, but I'm assuming that on the Mondeo it's time for a replacement rack?

Apart from the usual seized nuts and bolts, and having it aligned afterwards, is there anything I should be aware of before I start? (I've done mainly classic car repairs in the past).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
TimM

Have you actually checked the play is in the rack and not somewhere in the wheel/steering column?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

the plugs where the P/S pipes go in........replace both...a Fiver each... The o'rings and snap rings leak sometimes when you try and refit em.

JK

Reply to
JK