mondeo TDCi cuts out - help please!

Hi,

i have a mondeo 2.0 tdci 130 ghia on an 03 plate which has done 64k. Yesterday, the car spluttered and ran with much-reduced power and the glow-plug light cam on. About 10 minutes later the car cut out altogether. Once stopped it restarted OK and the glow-plug light went out as normal and the car has run as normal since. Anyone with any ideas please!? It's fully serviced, last time at 56k.

Thanks,

Coops

Reply to
Darren Cooper

Is it not still under warranty?

Reply to
DanTXD

Not Ford's warranty no, cos its done over 60k.

Reply to
Darren Cooper

it will have to go a main dealer to check for fault codes etc. it may need a PCM reproggrame or the injectors recalibrating . but with this milage it may be a sensor . cost wise we would charge 1 hr diagoiss time £56+vat(inc the reproggrame etc) but your dealer may cost more

Reply to
ford_technical_

ok, thanks all. Took it to the dealer and he said just that so it's going in next week

Reply to
Darren Cooper

Reply to
Gary Millar

yes, I'll do that. The dealer said it's likely to have been some dirt in the EGR (exhaust gas recycle) valve that made the ECU limp home and then dirt got drawn through the engine after it stopped and is now OK. He wants £25 to check the error codes (if any) and about £60 to update the ECU map with the latest ones which allegedly cure the 1800-2000 rev hiccup it sometimes has. I'm pricing up a major service so might get that done instead and the upgrades included. My car was a BT Fleet car so has been serviced by BT garages so may have not had any ECU updates.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Cooper

Reply to
Gary Millar

There was also an issue with the turbo on the c-max which has the same engine,i know this as i had one,something to do with a pipe coming off and did the same to me,outside lane all of a sudden the thing loses power then will come back to life again.

Reply to
Simondeo

My car is an 05 130Tdci. Same problem. Have been to dealer under warranty. They've recalibrated: then new ECU: refitted wires to fuel pumps; replaced fuel sensor switch. Still happens. V dangerous as you lose power when you most want it. Thinking about handing car back before I have an accident.

Reply to
Jack Webster

The message from "Jack Webster" contains these words:

Do that. I would.

Reply to
Guy King