03 Polo rear brake question

The SO has an 03 Polo, which for a while now has had a fairly nasty noise coming from the rear of the car when braking. I drove it last weekend and it had got noticeably worse :-( I'm happy pulling the drums off to take a look (only done 26k, so be very surprised if the shoes are worn out), but a bit of googling in this group suggests that VW have a funny way of doing things.

I don't have a Haynes for the car, so anybody got any tips and stuff to watch out for when doing this for this model?

The handbrake is also in "reach for the sky" mode, so something's up...

Reply to
mike. buckley

If the handbrakes been dragging they could easily be worn out

Reply to
Duncanwood

The message from "mike. buckley" contains these words:

Sounds like the lining has slipped off the wossname. Rare but possible. Last time I saw it was on a Renault 5.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Guy King writes

Wouldn't surprise me. SO is a reasonably careful driver (and it was her Fathers car before that), so leaving the handbrake on is unlikely but I'm not ruling it out... :-)

Reply to
mike. buckley

My GF's 02 Polo has exactly the same problems. It's been in twice but both times the VW dealer has said there's nothing wrong with it. So there you go, it was designed to sound like that, apparently.

Reply to
deadlock

In message , deadlock writes

It's booked in for Wednesday, so we'll find out. I was going to DIY but in the end I just couldn't be bothered.

Reply to
mike. buckley

Post back with what they find if you could. Might be interesting.

Reply to
deadlock

In message , deadlock writes

Will do

Reply to
mike. buckley

In message , mike. buckley writes

Just needed a brake service, nothing drastic, shoes were very glazed etc, but is all fine now. Fifty quid from a main dealer, and they got the return on the seatbelts working as well.

Peace of mind restored.

Reply to
mike. buckley