MOT "fail"

[...]

Excellent advise Mr C. Unfortunately, it would mean moving from the part of the south-east I currently live in because as far as I can establish, there is no garage around here that meets all of your suggested criteria. There is certainly nowhere locally that does free re-tests at the moment.

The cam-belt needs doing on my car. Age and infirmity make it a job that I would struggle to do, although I have all the equipment needed, and the knowledge to do it. Although I am prepared to pay up to and including main dealer prices, I'm unable to find anywhere I would trust to do it.

One of my step-sons worked in the motor trade, firstly as a main dealer mechanic, and then as an AA patrol. He obviously has visited many garages, and seen them at work. He is unable to recommend a single one of them to me.

On the other side of the coin, I have twice had excellent treatment when having had problems whilst travelling. Both small establishments went well beyond what might be expected; I subsequently wrote letters of thanks to both of them. However, one of them was in Oxfordshire, the other in North Yorkshire, so not terribly convenient for me from here!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

What about the fact that I merely removed and replaced the drums, without even blowing out the tiny amount of dust present, told the tester that I'd freed off a "seized adjuster", and then it was passed?

Or is that irrelevent (sic) also?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

Yebbut the point is mine were not faulty! Or if they were, they were passed incorrectly on the retest.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

South East? Use the bloke I do for all my MoTs, it is close to Lakeside, is that near enough?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I was just mentioning it in passing :)

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Yep, care to give me a name?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I've never had a print-out on a car test [1] but whenever I've seen a fail on brake balance it has had the figures written on the fail cert, complete with grubby fingerprints.

[1] As opposed to a truck test, where you get a print-out whether it passes or fails.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Aveley Garage 01708 865454 mot by appt. only 8.30 onward every 45 minutes. They also test on Saturdays. They could also do your cambelt and know much about Fords since they are ex. ford development people. Tell them Noel sent you.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Many thanks Mr C.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In message , Mrcheerful writes

Much common sense written by Mr Cheerful in that post, be wary of any station that discounts to the general public.

Given the running costs of a testing station, it doesn't make sense to discount to the public if you are doing the test properly unless you happen to be running a *very* tight ship.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Chris Whelan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There's strict criteria for what qualifies for a _mandatory_ free retest. Any test centre is able to offer free retests above and beyond that as a marketing incentive, if they wish.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, indeed. However, around these parts I've not seen any garages advertising free re-tests or even discounts on tests for the last couple of years, unless you count the offers of a combined MOT and service.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

But unless you observed the test, how do you know?

Reply to
Conor

The act of removing the drums requires disturbing the shoes and adjuster so it could be that they had got stuck and removing of the drum freed them.

If you'd have told me you'd both observed the test and not touched it at all before the retest, I'd say you had a point.

Reply to
Conor

If the adjuster was only stuck the the degree that slipping the drum off and on freed it, the act of stamping on the brakes before the car was submitted to the test would have done the same.

I'd say I had a point anyway. I've been talking to a neighbour this afternoon whose daughter had the same experience at the same testing station. She initially left her car there to be "fixed" after failing on rear brake balance, but was advised by the mobile mechanic that looks after the car for her to get it back before they did any work. He took it to another MOT station, and it passed...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Nor many round here - and those that do tend to be the suspect ones. The maximum cost of an MOT is less than that space would earn doing normal servicing, and that doesn't require the _very_ expensive test equipment.

Reply to
Adrian

It's simple. Take it to another garage for the repair. Just get it back to the MOT garage within 14 days and they retest it again without paying anymore. I've done this many times at garages all over the place and no one has any problem with it. You don't have to get the MOT station to do the repairs. In fact I try to use MOT testers who don't do repairs.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Rubbish. I had one of my rear drums that needed freeing off and a couple of other things. Took it to my local (walking distance garage) to get the work done and booked it back for a free retest within the 14 days.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Exactly the same for me. In all my driving since 1976 I've never had to pay for a retest.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

How do you know that. You cannot tell just by the road test you gave it. Next time watch it go through the mot and watch the dials when he tests the brakes. I alway do this and have always been given the chance when I ask to have a quick look at the condition under my car or van when it's up on the ramp.

Mark

Reply to
Mark