CO Emissions - huh?

It's nearly that time of year again so I found out my old MOT cert for my Bravo, and remembered there was some hassle with getting the emissions down for the test last year. Looking at the fast idle test (which it eventually passed) the CO limit was 0.20% and it managed 0.17% on about the third attempt, yet on the natural idle test the limit is 0.30% CO, but it flew through with 0.03%. Any ideas why this would be the case, and is it indicative of anything which might need attention this year? Car is regularly serviced, etc.

Cheers

Hellraiser............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Ought to add on the fast idle, HC was 28 with a limit of 200, Lambda 1.00 (limits 0.97-1.03).

Cheers

Hellraiser...........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

The fast idle test is (I think) when it is cold, therefore the ECU will be richening the mixture to keep the engine running. Once warm the engine needs a lot less fuel to idle. Give it an engine service and give it a try.

Reply to
gazzafield

I have a Rover 218 and if the cat is not properly warm it fails emissions. I try to get the MOT guy to test the emissions when I first drive it in and it's still warm. Otherwise I have to sit there revving the engine until the cat's properly warm.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Cheers guys, it's not due for another month so I'll give it a service, bang some injector cleaner through it and get it nice and hot before testing. One slight problem, the heatshield fell off the cat the other day, so that may cause a few problems too :(

Hellraiser...........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

A fast motorway or A road run will help, immediately before the emissions test. Also check the thermostat is allowing the engine to properly warm up to operating temp- i.e. 90 or so deg.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Definitely. Makes a huge difference. I can get mine through a cat emissions test when its been for a motorway blast but only just scrape a non-cat test when cold. (dont have a cat fitted)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

"Coyoteboy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

You don't really need the motorway blast, you need to leave the engine ticking over until the fans come on, it's down to the heat of the engine and exhaust being up to max. But a blat up the motorway will heat the engine quicker ;-), and if it's been used a lot for low speed runs, an Italian tune up before a test is always a good idea. In fact an Italian tune up is the best way to run a car anyway.:-)

Reply to
Tunku

Motorway blast heats the cat thru better due to higher EGT for prelonged time. Not having a cat anymore i just do it for the fun of it and to make sure i have a large hot lump under the bonnet - stops them poking around too much :) The Italian tuneup is indeed the only way to do it :-)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

IIRC, they can't fail it on emissions unless the oil is at a certain temp which ensures the cat is at working temp too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yebbut how many of them actually use the sump probe?!?!?!

60deg C oil temp doesnt mean the cat is hot enough to work though!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Dunno - but it was used on my car last time I attended an MOT.

Be interested to know the sort of circumstances where the oil could be at working temp but not the cat?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)