Wierd Grove In Brake Disk

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help with this which i have never seen before...

Whilst i had the wheels of my van to change the anti-roll link bars i notived one brake disk had a grove in it,

Suspecting a contaminate/stone/s**te on the pad i removed the pad and found that it had a corresponding "rib" on it.

Nothing on the caliper seems to be fouling the pad and it only appears on the front of the disk. The wheel rotates freely when it should. - Though i should add that i cleaned everything up and flatted the pad off before reassembly.

Before i whack a new set of pads and disks on, any ideas what might be causing this?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Looks like something got caught between the disc and pad - wearing the groove in the disc.

Whatever it was then dropped out, leaving the pad to wear down as the mirror of the groove in the disc.

Reply to
SteveH

Well the groove in the pad is actually a wear indicator and once it's disappeared, the pad should be replaced. The groove wouldn't cause that in the disc and if it had anything to do with it, it'd create a ridge.

My bet is that at some time, something has got stuck in the groove. Either way, it looks deep enough to warrant a change of the disc IMO.

Reply to
Conor

He wasn't asking about the wear indicator groove.

He was asking about the raised bit of the pad.

Reply to
SteveH

That's cos the rest of its been worn down by the disc. By the time you've taken them off you might as well change them though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

See my other reply.

And, yes, the discs and pads need doing.

Reply to
SteveH

Jesus, I sometimes think you lot are preparing the next shuttle for orbit. it's only a van FFS, there's loads of life left in those pads and discs, and there's no particular route to a brake failure...

Julian

Reply to
Julian

Eh? Having driven lots of cars and vans, it's the van brakes you need to worry about. The average car rarely has more than 1 person in it other than the driver, whereas a van can double in gross weight between unladen and loaded.

Reply to
Doki

& they shear. But the real reason you want to change them is that they eat brake pads & they cost more than discs.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

So how does that make a half worn pad any less effective that a new one, if you have friction material then you have friction material.... And as for that tiny groove in the disc, if anything that increases surface area :-)

But you assertion that van brakes are somehow more highly stresses than a car's is wrong. Firstly a van's brakes are heavier - take the rear drums on a Combo for example. Secondly weight may double, but an empty (car derived) van is lighter in the first instance when empty.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Nah, the disc is sound except for a small circumferential groove - that won't make much odds to pad wear.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

You can see how it's affecting pad wear in the pics., can't you?

That's good enough evidence for me for swapping them.

Reply to
SteveH

Which I recently found out on an ice covered road in my astravan. Stoped on a bit of an incline with h/brake fully on and as soon as I released foot brake the thing starts to slide backwards with both rears locked on!

Reply to
Redwood

Anything that can get caught on the pad can cause what you see.

When I got exactly the same as you ... I got a chunk of rust/metal of the edge of the disk (when I had actually cleaned the rust off it) stuck on the pad.

It took a magnifying glass to find the spot of metal on the pad and remove it.

Charles

Reply to
Charles C

My guess woulld be that a stone got caught in the pad, grooving the disc. After it dropped out the pad simply wore to match the disc. Not that uncommon, but in most cases not as severe. Mike.

Reply to
Miike G

But the metal in that groove will get quite hot compared to the rest of the disc surface as it's thinner and it's not beyond the realms of possibility for the disc to crack.

Considering how piss cheap brake discs are now, it's not worth it.

Reply to
Conor

Add inertia to the list of things Julian doesn't understand.

Reply to
Conor

But there isn't any ''metal'' in that groove - its gone AWOL ROFLAO!

will get quite hot compared to the rest of

Yes whatever, I love it when people come up with all these theories - fatigue, hot spots, hairline cracks etc etc. I've spent about 30 years working on cars and when I was an MOT tester I failed vented discs worn so thin that the working surface of the disc was becoming depressed between the vent ribs. However they still worked fine and didn't explode into a million bits like you would suggest. (probably having watches too many films made in Holywood)

The disc in question has a tinsy winsy ickle groove and a corresponding ridge on the pad, (that doesn't look 25% worn) to suggest that the combination is unfit for further service is just an absolute nonsence.

Two discs + pads £50+VAT? (thereabouts) You sound old enough to know the value of money surely?

Julian

Reply to
Julian

Yes thanks, no abnormal wear whatsoever save for that little ridge

As above...

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Yup, so that sets worth about a tenner, not worth keeping.

Reply to
Duncan Wood