MOT leaflet

I have a habit of picking up leaflets of official information, I just find it irresistible. Paranoia drives me to assure myself against all unknown events and forces such that I will always be able to cope.

So I picked up this MOT leaflet while at a dealer garage. The main thrust was that it claims that you can now tax/SORN/whatever over the internet. Then there are also good (patronising) advice to the common man and his dog.

Examples:

"The MOT test: The MOT test checks that your vehicle complies with minimum standards required for lawful use on the road."

  • "Passing the MOT test does not mean that your vehicle will remain safe for the following 12 month." (amazing!)

  • "All vehicles need proper and regular servicing irrespective of the MOT test." (amazing!)

"What if you disagree with the test result: Discuss it with the MOT test station if possible." (amazing that you can do that!)

And a final pearl of profound wisdom printed in bold letters at the end:

"DO NOT CARRY OUT REPAIRS TO THE VEHICLE."

Reply to
Johannes

"Johannes" wrote

If you are going to appeal the decision of the MOT tester. Because the car will be independently inspected and this inspection cannot decide if the tester's decision was fair if the defective part has subsequently been repaired.

Obviously.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Ah I zeee. However, if you want to appeal then it's because you think that the repair is not needed. However, if you repair, then why appeal when you can just demonstrate that the problem has been rectified?

Reply to
Johannes

Because you need the vehicle on the road?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

"Johannes" > wrote

However, if you repair, then why appeal when you

I suppose there are chancers who would quibble about the tester's decision if it was general policy to refund the MOT test fee to anyone who demanded it.

If your car fails the MOT and you think the decision is unfair then there is a mechanism to appeal it. However, MOT testers are certified by VOSA and would have that authorisation withdrawn if they abused the MOT test system. So they generally take unbiased opinions about the state of the car under test.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road
[...]

Sensible and necessary advice, believe it or not!

My friendly AA man went to a Fiesta that had a seized engine. It didn't have a drop of oil in it, and was basically scrap.

The owner, a young woman, was angry. "But I only had it MOT'd last week!"

She honestly thought that was all she needed to do look after her car.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Did your AA man deliver the car to Taunton by any chance?

Reply to
Fred

No, Reading, Berks.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That's a bit harsh - no need to call them Berks, just because they delivered a car to Reading. :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

We had an R reg Fiesta Zetec brought to us by the AA on Wednesday, young lady owner who had driven it with no oil until it seized . We had Mot'd it in December and she thought as it had passed the mot everything else must be ok, I thought you must be referring to the same car.

Reply to
Fred

"Fred" >>> have

isnt amazing what Joe Public thinks they are getting when an mot is done, we have the same thing " what do you mean the alternator has failed ! you only mote'd it last month " arghhhhhhhhh !!!! When we test a vehicle, we look at important items to see if it meets the legal requirements for that day. The MOT certificate is not a guarantee of the general mechanical condition of a vehicle & dosn't mean its just had a full service !!!

Reply to
reg

Well that's hardly a work of genius if it was supposed to go to Taunton, is it?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

You can also appeal if you think that the vehicle should have failed.

This is most likely where you are the purchaser of a freshly MOT'd vehicle, which is found to have faults that should have been picked up on the MOT; especialy where the MOT testing station and used car retailer are one and the same.

Reply to
topcat11uk