MOT parking brake performance

John wrote on Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:18:29 GMT:

Pfft.

And any MOT failure you receive is fraud. Right.

Reply to
David Taylor

And also on the type of brake itself. Drums have a "self servo" effect that discs don't, which is really handy when you're trying to design a handbrake with a nice light lever that doesn't have to move too far.

Could be. They probably went all out for a light lever to give a "quality" feel. Actually working is of secondary importance...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I regularly park on hills steeper than that. I guess that's why the leave in gear and turn wheels to kerb is such a good idea.

Reply to
Chris Street

So you openly admit you don't maintain your daughters car properly?

Reply to
Conor

The self servo effect only occurs when the vehicle is moving. It's no advantage to the handbrake.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

It is when the car is parked facing downhill.

/John

Reply to
John Kenyon

Are you sure? Doesn't sound right to me. I thought the self servo effect was all about forces, not movement.

I'll have a Google...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Or uphill. One shoe will be leading, whatever happens.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Pretty well all I've seen have one leading and one trailing shoe, so the 'servo' effect should work equally in both directions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But it will apply if the vehicle starts to move...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Colin Stamp ( snipped-for-privacy@stamp.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Unless the drum's a twin-leading-shoe design.

Reply to
Adrian

Which would be a bit curious, for a handbrake-only drum.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

If the vehicle, which is parked with the handbrake applied, starts to move, then the handbrake has failed.

And if it started to move with the handbrake applied, the handbrake isn't going to stop it.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The effect then cancels itself out.

Reply to
SimonJ

You ever seen a twin leading shoe drum brake that includes a handbrake?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It could be hit by a moving vehicle?

It's *just* possible the self servo action might cause the shoes to grip. And then release when it stops. And grip again. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

AFAIK on most vehicles the handbrake only operates one shoe in each drum, even if two are fitted.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

: The self servo effect only occurs when the vehicle is moving.

It applies any time there is a torque on the braking arrangement. Whether the car is moving is irrelevant.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

The message from "John Kenyon" contains these words:

Really? The ones I've taken apart always have a lever which operates on a spreader to push both shoes out at the same time. At first glance they appear to only act on one shoe till you work out what's happening.

Reply to
Guy King

Then the handbrake would be much more efficient in one direction than the other due to the self servo action.

Think if you look more carefully, you'll find it does operate both shoes. Although at first glance it may be only one that moves. Try restricting the movement of this one and you'll find the other does in fact move.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)