MOT Rules re dashboard lights.

If you would care to read back the posts from the OP, she states that the ABS system is still functioning, even though the light is on. No matter how many capital letters you use, the fact is the ABS system is faulty, yet it is still trying to work.

Reply to
SimonJ

Not quite - as someone else mentioned some ABS systems are designed to take the responsibility of the function of the (non-fitted) mechanical front/rear proportioning valve. No ABS = no proportioning with the potential for rear-end skidding.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Given it would not pass an MOT in that state (i.e. test light would not follow the correct sequence to confirm operation) I presume it would invalidate the insurance given the obligation to keep the vehicle roadworthy?

I am assuming that a failed MOT test = unroadworthy (in the technical/legal definition sense)? If not then who knows - ask the insurers! Indeed, if they don't mind they there's no harm in informing them beforehand anyway.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

There speaks a man who's never had to deal with an insurance company before...

Do your insurers know? What was their take?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Here we go again!

Reply to
adder1969

To be fair, if you can't handle a rear end slide, you shouldn't be driving.

Hellraiser..............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Cobblers. If whatever drives the light, whether it be electronic or electromechanical, fails in the On position (so a jammed shut relay or a transistor that fails open circuit - both perfectly possible), then you have a light that's on regardless of the state of the ABS.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

We do? I was under the impression that the accepted legal test for whether a car is roadworthy or not, for the purposes of a sale, is ability to pass the MoT?

Reply to
Vim Fuego

In that case probably about 90% of the drivers on the road shouldn't be driving.

Reply to
SimonJ

You've obviously never read the back of an MOT certificate then.

Reply to
SimonJ

'whatever drives the light' is part of the ABS system, if it has failed, then there is a fault in the ABS system.

Reply to
SimonJ

Sounds about right...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yawn...

You don't half spout some bollocks.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Whereas you on the other hand provide some well-reasoned argument. Is it better for people to know how to handle a car rather than rely on electronic wizardry to do it for them? I reckon it is, but being a halfwit you probably disagree.

Hellraiser..............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Front/rear proportioning is not wizardry, it's a nigh on fundamental requirement with an 'all-in-one' (for want of a better phrase) braking system.

Quit whilst you're not too far behind.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Just stick a paving slab or two in the boot, Capri-style and you'll be alright :)

Hellraiser...........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Vim Fuego ( snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That'll be the ABS ECU, then.

Reply to
Adrian

SimonJ ( snipped-for-privacy@mine.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And in other news - night follows day.

Reply to
Adrian

& to be honest most of the 10% who've learnt how to slide the back of a car out are in the 90% who shouldn't be allowed out.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

No doubt, but my point is, it is perfectly possible for the bit that purely exists to drive the warning light to fail in the On position - leaving you with a 100% functionally perfect ABS braking system, but a warning light on.

Reply to
Vim Fuego