Source for pollen filters

Hi all, i`m after a pollen filter for an M reg astra. I`ve seen one for £10ish on ebay - anyone know of a better/cheaper source?

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

try Vauxhall or your local motor factor.

Reply to
reg

Local factors £5 VAT got one this morning!

Reply to
Tom Burton

That should be PLUS VAT.

You can have my old one for £2-50.

Reply to
Tom Burton

In October?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Windows get nice and foggy after rain - and there`s lots of rain about this time of the year.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Aye, but there's not a lot of pollen - so not much point having a filter.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Well, apart from weeds:-

but you'll see what I mean.) Oh, and the particulate emissions from vehicles.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Morton

one of the uses of a pollen filter is to stop rubbish getting into the fine vanes of your heater and blocking it up, so leaving it out is not a good option, a blocked filter means the heater doesn't work right, especially on astras and corsas oddly enough, perhaps because of the increased difficulty of changing it compared to an escort it gets ignored till it is a problem.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

And all the other little floating particules that aren`t good for human health? Plus if I take the filter out, i`ll forget to put it back in again when there is pollen about.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I didn`t think it was that difficult doing the astra? Seen some instructions, seems to suggest it`s a 5 minute job. Just been lazy, plus only had the car for 9-10 months.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

OK, seems I've been told! I never bother with the things myself and it's never done me any harm.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Andrew Morton ( snipped-for-privacy@in-press.co.uk.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I doubt they're fine enough.

Reply to
Adrian

Not really difficult, but you do need some tools, many cars you can do the job with fingers alone.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

And there are times you just wished you had a Jeremy Beadle right hand to get at those awkward nooks & crannies.

Reply to
redwood

Without the filter, you get a *lot* of condensation on the screen. As in 'instant total mist up' when you turn the fan on. DAMHIKT.

And yes it can be a 5 minute job to do it on an Astra, just bend/ease the plastic covers out of the way instead of trying to remove them completely. I've done it twice, once following Mr Haynes (25 min, two knuckles) and once follwing the Japlish instructions in the cheapo pollen filter box (5 min, no knuckles damaged).

Reply to
PC Paul

Mr Haynes can be handy when you don`t have a clue about cars (like myself), but there`s often a better way to do the job. I`ve got some Japlish instructions for the job, should be easy. if not, that`s why I bought it from the mechanic next door :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

The major issue with Haynes Manuals as far as I can see is that they are written from the point of view of dismantling the whole car - not 'what's the least that can be done to do this particular job'.

Admittedly that would make them 15 times the size and far too expensive to buy, but there you go.

Reply to
PC Paul

i got fed up with the "Haynes Manuals" years ago as they seem to keep telling people that they have to take the car to the dealers.

Reply to
bongo

Very true. I can do a lot of things to my car using the haynes. The mechanic next door can do pretty much anything with the car and a lot quicker than me, but he knows what he`s doing any why. i`m following step by step instructions and hoping it all goes back together again at the end :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan