MOT test - seats

Can I MOT my car with just the driver's seat fitted or does it need a full set? I've currently only got a drivers seat fitted and really can't be bothered fitting the others...

Reply to
Doki

From :

========= Other Defects The vehicle presenter should be notified of:

? Any items which are near to, but which have not yet reached the point of test failure. ? Any peculiarities of the vehicle identified during the the inspection, for example front passenger seat not fitted. ? Any defects on non-testable items which are found during the inspection procedure. Advisory items should ideally be noted on a numbered and dated sheet, such as a checklist, a copy of which should be retained by the VTS. A reasonable alternative to this practice is acceptable.

=========

...so it looks like they will make it an advisory... in case you hadn't noticed, presumably!

(The previous sectionto this one is 'Dangerous Defects' which are failures, so it doesn't *look* like it's a failure. Can't see why it should be, as long as the seat belts for the fitted seat(s) are OK and the fitted seat(s) are structurally sound.

Don't take it for MOT with a passenger sat on a milk crate like I did when I was on a provisional licence. The tester told me to drive it round the car park again and drop the passenger and crate off, then come back so he 'didn't see me do that'. It passed.

Reply to
Pikey Paul

Pikey Paul wrote in news:4lEDi.9105$c_1.668 @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

ROFL - The good old days when someone could call you a dick and you'd just grin.

Reply to
Tunku

I once picked up a scrap car from someone who had put it in for test to see if it was worth bothering with. I found the failure notice in it, and in the box marked In the opinion of the examiner, this vehicle is dangerous to drive because-

It said. " The drivers seat back is missing"

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

If it's got a seat belt for a passenger or back seats it should have seat to match. If there is no belt then it doesn't need a seat. Which is easier - put seats in or take belts out?

If it's got a seat it must have a seat belt for it, unless it's old enough not to need them.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Aha. The driver's seat folding mechanism is buggered. I have a feeling it might be easier to just shove a spare driver's seat in that does work to be sure...

Reply to
Doki

Uhm, if the vehicle presenter has not noticed the lack of a front passenger seat by the time they reach the MOT station, I'm not sure they deserve to be driving it...

Reply to
David Taylor

:-)

I'm sure you realised that the reason things like that are notified is to protect the tester if the presenter drives round the corner after the test, and props the seat back in place!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I presented a car for re-test gutted, with no carpet, inside trim from B pillar back, passenger seats and belts, just drivers seat so the inspector could check the welding easier. Then I drove it home and re-fitted the interior. It was quite noisy.

Reply to
Peter Hill