mx5 brake calliper

Hi, I've just had my wifes car motd and it failed due to the rear brake calliper. The garage did the repair and I have a couple of questions regarding the job:

Is this a common fault on mk 1 mx5s?

Should it cost as much as =A3220 + vat for the part?

Even though I requested the parts to be kept, they said they had to exchange the calliper otherwise there would be a =A340 additional fee. Is this true?

Cheers in advance.

Reply to
blokedownpub

Budweg MX5 rear calipers around £70 each from Brakes International

I wouldn't think so. Sounds a bit fishy to me. It's not usual to for calipers to be supplied on an exchange basis. Are you sure they fitted a new one? Maybe they only fitted a seal kit, in which case they'd need an excuse for not letting you have the old one they'd 'replaced' Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Most calipers are exchange in my experience , and uncommon jap stuff is more expensive and more likley to be exchange.

Reply to
George Spigot

Is this a common fault on mk 1 mx5s?

Should it cost as much as £220 + vat for the part?

Even though I requested the parts to be kept, they said they had to exchange the calliper otherwise there would be a £40 additional fee. Is this true?

Cheers in advance.

The answer is in your question, If they are keeping your callipers for exchange then they are probably buying you recon callipers, I have never seen recon callipers for this much money, apart from Ferrari etc...

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

You are goign to love this then. When I had my old Saab 900, it failed the MOT on a leaky seal on a=20 caliper (bit of a bummer as it was a less than one year old Budweg=20 replacement) at the local AA garage.

I asked how much to get them to do it. Was quoted =A3250 for the caliper.= =20 That had to be exhange as the original Lucas ones have been out of=20 production 8 years. I could buy the replacement exhange myself for =A350+ =A330 exchange surcharge and they said they would fit it although they=20 normally don't as it was such a big price difference. Luckily, When I=20 fitted the budwegs in place of the worn old Lucas ones, only one was=20 really worn, other just needed cleaning, and I hadn't sent them back. By=20 swapping a couple of dust shields from the leaking refurb I was able to=20 re-use the the original caliper.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Don't know MX5's sorry. =20

Not usually, but possible, was quoted =A3250+vat for a front caliper for a= =20 Saab 900 turbo (I can buy them for =A350+30 exchange fee from euro car=20 parts) from the AA garage doing the MOT.

Again yes, normal. If a car is older/rarer it may be necessary to fit an=20 exhange (refurbished/rebuilt) caliper. Price should be cheaper than new,=20 but some garages seem to ignore that.

No worries.=20

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

In news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, blokedownpub decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Very.

Nope.

Probably not.

No probs, Pint of Fosters please.

Reply to
Pete M

Rear Caliper Genuine Maxda new part from MX5parts for £125

John W