My car passed the MOT BUT..........

Evening all, and a belated Merry Christmas.

My Mk 3 1.8GL Golf (M reg 141k miles) passed it's MOT last week, but the examiner advised me that there is a 6% brake imbalance (at 20kg if it makes any difference..) and i'm not sure what he meant by this. I did ask what he thought the likely cause was, but he was (conveniently) unable to give an exact diagnoses the fault on the spot and i would need to book the car in.

In the past 6 months i have myself replaced the front and rear shocks, wishbones (easier than replacing just the bushes) and had the tracking and towing adjusted. There has been some noticeable play in the steering but as you do i decided that i would look at it later, which was 9 months ago. It has been suggested that it is more than likely a dodgy brake calliper than a stretched PAS belt or terminal steering rack, or am barking up the wrong tree.

I trust the garage (as much as you can trust a garage anyway) as i have been using him for the past three years, and to date they have not tried to pull a fast one by trying to charge me to replace "mermaid shin pads". Before i take the car into the garage and be hit with a bill for £90 just to diagnose the fault i thought i would seek the collective advise of you guys.

Have a good one chaps.

Antony

Reply to
Dr Gonzo

Also sprach "Dr Gonzo" :-

It means that one brake is doing more work than the other. 6% isn't an awful lot - which is why it passed.

It won't be anything to do with the steering.

First port of call - check the discs and pads. Also check that the calipers are moving freely.

Reply to
Guy King

A small bias in favour of the offside of the car, could simply be due to the examiners weight in the driving seat, being on that side of the car. Such a bias is not unexpected, as more weight equals more grip on the rollers. To be sure have the brakes tested again with a passenger, or have someone sit on the n/s wing.

A dodgy brake calliper or stretched p/s belt cannot cause play in the steering. Any play can only come from the s/box, it's mounting, track rod end joints, or steering column couplings. I suggest you find out exactly, by having someone waggle the steering while someone else looks at all the points above. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G