My Peugeot 406 - do I have a duff model?

Hi, Bought my 406 auto 98 model from Warwick Right group June 2002. It had

35k on the clock.

It's had several problems with it which were repaired under the 1 year warranty includng a microswitch in the gearbox (this apparently costs a lot to repair).

The car now has 50k on it (mainly motoroway miles). It's gone in for a timing belt change and the AA garage advised me the water pump is leaking which also needs replacing.

I've also been told that the brake discs will need replacing within 6 months with the pads.

It's diificult to believe that a car with low mileage would have this many problems with it. Other friends I have spoken to who have owned a Peugeot in the past wouldn't touch them again due to the number of repairs that had to be carried out.

Am I just unlucky with my car or should I stay away from Peugeot's in the future? I'm looking to change my car soon.

Cheers,

Al.

Reply to
Al

This is probably bad luck.

Cam belt drives the waterpump and its very silly not to replace this at the same time as the belt. The fact that its leaking now and has been spotted is a good thing, as cooking one of these will knacker the headgasket in short order and often warps the head if really cooked.

Get a second opinion. A car that has done mostly motorway miles I would expect the front discs to last alot longer than 50k, althoough with todays non-aspestos brake pads, discs are considered a wearing part anyway. On a car used for a mixture of use, 50k would be about average for a set of discs. It also depends how the car was driven before you owned it. If it was very lightly driven then corrosion could be the reason that it needs new discs rather than wear.

It is true to say that the 406 and Pugeots in general are less reliable than say a Mondeo, but usually only in areas such as electrical and cooling system problems. The guts of the car are just as good.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Doesn't sound too bad to me. It's pretty normal to replace the waterpump and cambelt at the same time (waterpump is normally a cheap part, so doesn't add much to the cost of the cambelt job).

IMHO, you've done pretty well to get over 50k miles out of a modern et of discs.

You were unlucky with the gearbox, but the other jobs are just routine servicing jobs.

Reply to
SteveH

*snip*

So, minor things needed fixing in warranty, that's just part and parcel of buying a used car.

You have a water pump which is leaking. Not failed, just a "best get it fixed, why don't we do it with the cambelt?".

There is nothing else that is outside of normal wear and tear. Why do you consider a car with nothing wrong to be a lemon?

FWIW, AA service centre = Halfords. And my Pug is 14 years old and is currently in southern europe. There's no reason to think it won't get back ot the UK.

Reply to
JW

For nearly 10 years I took my car, my wife's car and encouraged my kids to use the Halfords Garage facilities and I found that they always did a good job and were reasonably priced. I got to know the reception staff and the manager and found it easy to talk to them about problems on the various cars.

When I last took my son's car to the AA Service Centre for a Service and MOT it needed some work doing for the MOT, which I agreed to, and one of the points was headlamp beam adjustment. They charged me for this when on other occasions Halfords had not.

I was also advised that other work would need to be done on the car and I asked them to prepare a quote for me. When I turned up to collect the car the quote was not ready. As it was nearly closing time I said that I would call back the next day for the quote. Due to circumstances I called in two days later and the quote still had not been done. I was promised a call when it was ready and I am still waiting.

A month or so later I made an appointment with them to have a look at my heater as the fan had been noisy, but had now stopped working, and asked then to also check out the heat distribution as the control knob just spun around with no effect. I said to the young guy at the reception, when I dropped it off at 9-00 am, that I suspected that (a) the bearing had gone on the fan motor (noisy), the speed resistors had burnt out (fan now not working) and the distribution assembly probably needed changing.

As I had not heard anything by 5-30 pm I gave them a call and after hearing a lot of muttering in the back ground, such as yes it is out there on the front, I was told that I could come and collect it. When I arrived my car was in exactly the same position as I had left it. Inside I was advised by the Manager, a new guy who had, I think, only been there a few months, that the mechanic who had dealt with it had gone home and if the fan was noisy then it probably did need a new motor, and yes the resistors do burn out and they would need to be replaced. Nothing was said about the air distribution control. When I asked about how much it would cost he stated that they would need to speak to the Main Dealer to get part prices. He would call me the next day. Guess who is still waiting for a call? Had they really looked at the car?

On the occasions I was lurking around the reception desk waiting my turn, one of the topics of conversation always appeared to be about contract work, had it been booked in, had it been finished, so it could be that that sort of work took priority. With a complete loss of Customer confidence I've not been back since.

I was not too worried when the AA took over this Halfords Servicing work as I thought that here was a company always fighting for the motorists rights, always stating how motorist were being ripped off by the Government and cowboy garages and I thought that I would still be getting a good deal from them, however from invoices I noticed that they were charging nearly £60 per hour labour rate, which I believe is very close to main dealer rate. Their prices for normal services had increased, in a 12 month period, in the region of 25%

Looking back it occured to me how the original Manager and the Reception staff had all disappeared quite quickly so maybe it was a case that they were giving (too) good Customer service. Some of the same mechanics are still there but I suppose that they just do the job as normal.

Reply to
Spam Buster

Hi there

I have a friend who has a Peugeot 405 an older model than yours and again it has had what I consider a lot of work done on it.

In contrast my proton is nearing 140k and I've spend only a few pounds with no component failures at all. It's still on the original brake discs. The only problems I've had were two faulty wires and the tappets needed adjusting a couple of times otherwise it's been simple servicing. Indeed only now is it showing a few niggles (which I'm driving through until it blows up :-) ).

A relative has an Audi A8 and from their experience I wouldn't entertain an audi either.

In my book if the car has had more than a couple of very minor faults within it's first 100k it's time to change manufacturer.

From what I've seen of the engineering of the proton (mitsubishi based) I be very tempted to go for something Japanese if what you require is high reliability.

Reply to
David Cawkwell

No snipped-for-privacy@Liverpool.co.uk (Spam Buster) wrote in news:YQR6b.11824$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net:

Did you ever complain to the AA? I know one you're pi**ed off with a company it's hard to even talk to them again. WHen I called the main AA service line, I queried if the mechanics were on comission rate. I was told they weren't and didn't get bonuses for breaking any sales targets. But who knows?

Al.

Reply to
Al

snipped-for-privacy@fiddaman.net (Andy Fiddaman) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I'll get a disc quote from the AA today when I hopefully can get to pick up my car (after 6 days in their garage).

I've decided to keep my car and if all is well until December I'll hang on to it. Otherwise, I've been using a VW Passat turbo diesel in the mean time, and am getting rather attached to it...

Al.

Reply to
Al

This is how the cost has broken down:

Timing belt 60.69

3 hours labour 189.00 Water pump 65.78 1 hour labour 63.00 Total Inc. VAT 378.47 (my wallet has plasters on it now).

Front discs and pads will cost £170.

BTW - where is the water pump in a Peugeot? I'm looking for something shiny and new near the timing belt but can't see anything obvious. I can make out the alternator and some lump below that.

Al.

Reply to
Al

Al> No snipped-for-privacy@Liverpool.co.uk (Spam Buster) wrote in Al> news:YQR6b.11824$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net:

Al> Did you ever complain to the AA? I know one you're pi**ed off Al> with a company it's hard to even talk to them again. WHen I Al> called the main AA service line, I queried if the mechanics Al> were on comission rate. I was told they weren't and didn't get Al> bonuses for breaking any sales targets. But who knows?

AA Service Centre in Bracknell made a right pigs ear of my wife's car a few years back. The AA themselves made all kinds of polite noises but weren't interested in sorting out the problem at all.

Took 4 visits to get a bit of exhaust changed, and over 3 months to get an MOT certificate and even then it was still wrong.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"The world has gone crazy: The best rapper is a white guy, the bestgolfer is a black guy, France is accusing the US of arrogance, andGermany doesn't want to go to war." -- Anon
Reply to
AndyC the WB

That's a nice touch, charging labour twice. If they'd charged you labour for the water pump first, they could've included the timing belt in that.

That's a job even my wife could handle (although it might take her all day!). If you're fed up with the bills, save yourself £110-odd and DIY.

Heh, it is nice if you can actually see where the money went when you open the bonnet, I'll agree! :) There's a plastic cover over the timing belt and the water pump is in there as well.

Reply to
Chewie

Agreed, bear in mind that if the old cambelt was at all slack, the new one will be more tensioned thus putting an additional strain on the water pump. Remember they'll charge you for anti freeze and possibly engine flush unless you ask them not to use it. (This is one of those 'undetectable' extras that garages charge for.)

Pete

Reply to
PM

Hey,

It's part of Centrica - everybody who works here is on a bonus on commission, it props up the very low basic salary we tend to be paid.

Reply to
Marcus