Name That Plug

I have a 1995 Rover 214 SEi (old shape). There is a sound coming from the back seat area that sounds like a distant lawnmower! It is more clear when stood at the rear of the car. Seems to be coming from the back half of the car anyway.

Under the boot carpet near where the back seat hinges down, there is a circular aluminium plate. I undid the three screws and lifted it off there is some kind of plug under it with a couple of wires going in.

The noise seems to be coming from this. Any ideas what this plug is and if it is easily swapped?

Cheers Paul, West Yorks

Reply to
Paul

my guess would be the fuel pump

Reply to
mrcheerful

That would make sense I suppose as the feul pump will be electrical, and the noise can only be heard when the engine is running. What price do you reckon for a fuel pump? On other cars I've had the fuel pump has been in the engine, so surpprised to see this one half way down the car under the back seat.

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul

just done a rover metro, similar set up, cost the customer about £150.00 but then the tank has to come out on the metros to replace the pump, ive a feeling you could be looking possibly at about £100 for the pump, you could try your local breakers or your local Lucas branch if you have one as you might be able to buy just the pump its self without all the housing that goes with it, just swap it all over.

Reply to
reg

Thanks for that. Thing it, it's not actually faulty, just noisy. When the seats are up you can hardly hear it anyway.

All the best Paul

Reply to
Paul

Noisy fuel pumps are always on the long slippery path to faultyness. It may go on for years before turning up its toes, it could die tomorrow though.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Agreed, one day while parking I heard a sort of clonky noise, a bit like a loose exhaust, I put it on the mental list of things to do, the next day I found out it was the fuel pump warning me it was dieing, luckily enough it got me into a friends yard, he lent me tools and his van, a nearby breakers supplied another pump, which lasted less than a year and died in a similar way, warning me first, at traffic lights 20 miles from home, it just got me back to my garage! The next pump has lasted many years. (this was a Ford injection, incidentally)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Old carb cars tended to have engine driven pumps. However, modern injection engines need a higher fuel pressure, so often prefer to push from the tank, rather than pull as this enables much higher pressurisation.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

And avoids vapour lock.