Nasty top end rattle (2.0 HdiSx)

My diesel Citroen Synergie (51 reg) has developed a nasty (expensive) sounding rattle from the top end (cambelt end of the engine) that appears at about 3000 rpm. It's quite harsh and clattery.

It's going to the doctor's tomorrow but I was wondering if there are any common failings on this engine that might be producing such a rattle (and is it indeed going to be expensive as I fear)?

The car is otherwise going well and cruises quietly (as long as I keep the revs down).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Possibly solenoid trouble on one or more injectors, allowing them to dribble fuel? Not unknown on the Hdi........ Injectors can be very expensive, but there are suppliers of reconditioned ones around. HTH

Reply to
philipte

The good news is that it's looking like it's just a disintegrating crankshaft pulley. Fingers crossed that that's *all* it is.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie