National Tyres £10/£15 oil change offer

Hi all,

Has anyone taken advantage of this offer on their website?

It clearly says it includes ANY car that has a petrol engine under 2300cc.

Yet I've just been told the offer does not apply to my 2.0 petrol Ford Mondeo, and that I must pay £25 instead?

This seems very strange. Surely my engine is about as run-of-the-mill as you can get, why wouldn't their Duckhams QXR Semi Synthetic stuff be suitable?

Reply to
Michael Rodgers

You misses the "**subject to manufacturers specification" bit =20

Indeed. =20

Zetec engines need 5W30 spec oil, IIRC. At least they do if you like=20 your valves to be of the non-sticky variety. =20

Ian

--=20 Ian Riches Bedford, UK

Reply to
Ian Riches

For a Ford Ka the filter's about a fiver, and the oil's about £15 with some left over. That's with oil and filter from the Ford parts desk...

Reply to
Doki

Nope. £15ish retail, £12 or £13 if you turn up often enough to get trade discount.

Reply to
Doki

I had exactly the same problem, Zetecs use a thinner oil than most and the bloke I spoke to said they'd have to order it in specially... Sounds like bollox to me ;(

Reply to
Tony Bond

You misses the "**subject to manufacturers specification" bit

Indeed.

Yup, and looking back to when I had my Fiesta TDI van which wanted the same oil (well, depends who you asked, but I always preferred to put that in it), it was pretty pricey - a lot more so than the standard 10W40 that my local Ford dealer (and I quote) "put in everything that comes in here for a service". Can't say I noticed any massive running difference between the two, but according to the handbook the 5w/30 was the right stuff, so in the long term I'd be much happier paying an extra £10 or so each oil change. £25 certainly seems reasonable, and is almost definitely cheaper than you could buy the oil and filter alone for.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That's 10W40 though isn't it? I bought 10W40 once for the van and it was around that price (as they didn't have any 5W30) but 5W30 was always a fair bit more expensive.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The last semi-synth oil I bought for my Mondy was £10 for 5l, can't remember the brand but had the specs plastered all over the back.

Reply to
Tony Bond

Yeah, I managed to blag a trade discount at my local Ford dealer - only 10%, but better than nowt.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Just done a car with SL A1 5W30 and a filter for 16 quid all in. (Sump plug washer I found in my garage...) ...and 1.5 litres left over for the occasional top up.

Not as cheap but when I change a filter I actually change it, not just wipe it with a cloth to make it look new!

Reply to
DannyBoy

Interestingly the Ford Ka, which isn't a zetec (the dodgy spanish engine out of the Anglia renamed the endura e) take 5W30 as well.

Reply to
DannyBoy

Hehe, been in the trade then.

Reply to
Johnny

They were originally specced to use 10W40, then Ford decide 5W30 did the job. Probably just to make 5W30 the standard Ford oil.

Reply to
Doki

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

Or even just done.

Reply to
Guy King

Yep, you can't beat doing it yourself for knowing the job's been done properly.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Oil, air and fuel filters Plus sump plug washer from the Citroen garage £24, oil from the local farmers store (Q8 semi synthetic) £8. Citroen wanted £19 for their semi synth.

Reply to
Malc

Cheeky buggers! That's exactly why, isn't it. T*ssers.

Reply to
DannyBoy