Need three new tyres rover 618

Hi All

I need three new tyres. One is perishing on the wall , one is border line worn , and one has had two puncture fixes and now is going down again.

The good tyrw is a continental and probably has done 20,000 miles so will only last a little longer as I wil be doing 1200 mile a week from may for a few months.

SO it looks like a complete set of boots for mw. Which tyres do you guys reccomend on a Rover 618i 1997 for 50/50 motorway and urban driving. Prefer something quiet if possible.

Brian

Reply to
john

I find Continental Premium Contact very good (I pay about £65 each all in for a 195/55x15V) and also the BF Goodrich Profiler G (£47) which seem to be a very good value tyre.

On the wifes ZX we use Continental Eco-Contacts (£38 all in for a

175/65x14T) - very impressed.
Reply to
Doctor D

Went to Kwik Fit(up) for quote and was told "four new tyres mate. Cheapest is £85 for firestones."

Went to local independant place. One new tyre needed. Two have a "good couple of mil till the wear indicators" despite lookin low to me. Got same Firestone as I replaced , valve and fititng.Tracking and balancing for £70.

Then the icing on the cake. Bring receipt back within three months and we will price match it for the other tyres if they need doing.

Oh and by the way. £30 for oil change at Kwik fit , so I am goign to pay a mate who has a pit and needs the cash to do it.

Reply to
john

Kwik-fit do oil changes now? I wouldn't trust them to loosen wheelnuts let alone do anything else after my own experiences with them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

But huge headed/tiny cartoon bodied actors say they're OK, so they must be.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

I was charged less than that for my SD1 which holds 5.5 litres. 27 quid, IIRC. Semi-synthetic. If the 30 quid is for fully synth, check out the cost of the Mobile 1 they use at Halfords, etc, before deciding DIY is cheaper. Of course, if you're happy with cheap oil, then DIY will be cheaper.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Being such a large organization they're not going to be perfect - none ever is. But at least you can watch them at work, and be sure they've done what you've paid for.

I've found them pretty good. Which is more than can be said for my BMW main dealer who despite charging over 100 quid an hour labour are both incompetent and dishonest.

So IMHO I'd give Kwik-Fit 9/10, Coopers 3/10. Makes you wonder, really.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There was the case in Slough where a kwik fitter amused himself in his lunch break by targeting passers by with an air rifle... Though he has since been dismissed.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Dreadful. You'd have thought they'd have asked him about this sort of thing at his job interview.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Make sure he's a good shot. After all - they wouldn't want anyone imcompetant working there.

Reply to
Guy King

Perhaps he was actually aiming at car tyres?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is that not mandatory in the more urban parts of East Berkshire?

Reply to
Doctor D