New Focus arriving, old focus price reduction?

Saw a review of the new Focus in a sunday rag. As most peeps will want the new one rather than the old one, is it likely that I (who am quite satisfied with the old one) can go to my local friendly Ford dealer and get a new / quite new example of the old model at a substantial discount? (10, 20, 30% ???) TIA, |P

Reply to
freecycle

No.

BTW, there are more appropriate NG's to ask in.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Sorry - which NG?

Reply to
freecycle

In message , freecycle writes

uk.rec.cars.misc alt.autos.ford.focus

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Blimey, you were up early this morning Paul!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

freecycle (freecycle ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Another new Focus arriving? The current one's only been on sale a couple of years...

Reply to
Adrian

I've seen 1.6 vct Zetecs and 1.8 Zetecs for sale around the £12k at Ford main dealers (with sports and bluetooth packs) - saving around £4k(?) I think

Reply to
Tomm-y

In message , Chris Whelan writes

I'm up at 05.30 on working days and I often fire up the lappy and check my email while I'm eating my breakfast. I've now just got back from work. I do a four on/four off shift and today was day 4 at work so I'll have a bit of a lie in for the next four days.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Adrian writes

I think its just a face lift model. The Mk2 has been on sale for about 3 years now.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

...and supposedly with the new dash, revised interior and refinements to the suspenders, its got the opposition even more worried.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Ah yes, work... I'd forgotten about that :-)

I'm retired now, but did a lot of shift work. One of the worst was 2x12 hour days, 2x12 hour nights, then 4 days off, for eight months of the years. The other four months there was only two days off in between, but a 13 day annual holiday.

I really don't cope with sleeping in the daytime at all well; luckily I only did this shift for about a year. Any longer would have had serious risks to my health!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

One has to wonder which idiot thought that would be a more productive shift pattern than almost anything other than alternate days.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Believe it or not, my employer at that time spent a lot of money researching the preferred shift pattern of workers worldwide, and the health implications, and this one was miles ahead. They also commissioned a university team to carry out an independent appraisal. It is an expensive system for a company because it requires five crews; other ways of providing 24/7/365 cover only need four crews.

To be fair, most of those that worked it loved the four day breaks, and seemed unconcerned that it was necessary to get at least some sleep on the first rest day. It also carried a 34% shift premium, which I suspect helped its popularity!

I had received a promotion, so didn't initially need to work the shift. I volunteered to go on shift for a three month period to cover someone who had left, keeping my higher rate of pay together with the premium. Three months ran into eight, and as a way of thanking me, the shift premium continued to be paid to me until the end of the financial year after I returned to day working.

I realised that this would raise my potential pension artificially for that year only, so was able to retire at 57. Had I not done so, I would have needed to continue working until I was 62 to get the same pension. I'd worked at the same place for 36 years, so took the money and ran! I've never regretted it for a moment, and still, after four years, feel as if I'm on holiday.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Most of the current research seems to imply that 4early 40ff 4 lateetc. is much less diruptive.

Reply to
Duncan Wood
[...]

I think there are those that will never cope with working at night, and sleeping during the day. I never adapted to it during the eight months I did it. I basically went without sleep! I've never been that good at sleeping, even as a teenager.

As for shift patterns, I much prefer my current 7 off, 7 off, 7 off...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan