New MOT Test

I usually book the car in 2/3 weeks before the MOT expiry date

What happens if its a fail and the work can not be done on the day. This is not a problem at the moment with the manual system as any work carried out at a later date will result in a MOT cert being issued.

In the meantime I still have a valid indate MOT as I have taken the car in early. I could still be proscuted if the vehicle is involved in an accident and the car is not roadworthy. However, if its a new exhaust or similar thats required then it may be noted but it would hardly be the cause of an accident.

The new computer system will record a fail - quite rightly! and any PNC check will highlight the computer test result.

Will this mean that the vehicle will have to be driven from the MOT station and parked off road until the garage is able to carry out the remedial work? The car is then booked in for a retest and can NOT be used for any other purpose?

Bit of a problem if there is no off-road parking!

Any thoughts!

Reply to
sid

PNC only shows who a car is registered to and whether it is taxed and/or insured. It doesn't show whether a it is MOT'd or not

(PNC = Police National Computer)

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul

Paul wrote on Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:34:53 +0100:

Since they've spent all this money creating an MOT database, surely they'll link it up to PNC checks?

Reply to
David Taylor

"didn't"

MOTs are now centrally electronically recorded. I can't believe that information won't find it's way onto the PNC sooner rather than later...

Reply to
PC Paul

Same situation as currently. If your car fails an MOT, there's still an MOT failsheet recorded.

Reply to
Conor

David Taylor ( snipped-for-privacy@yadt.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

As cars go through computerised MOTs, they will show on the PNC.

Until they go through a computerised MOT, there's no central computer record of whether it's MOTd to link up to.

Reply to
Adrian

You have 14 days to get it in for a retest.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

More and more places are only giving seven days.

Reply to
Volff

The message from Volff contains these words:

14 days is stipulated in the test. It's the /free/ bit which is at the discretion of the station.
Reply to
Guy King

In the future, MOT information will be available via a PNC check.

Yes there is but it is held locally at the garage and even if it forwarded to DVLA it would take weeks for the information to be processed. No system to access this sort of info in the manual system

I could under the present manual system fail an MOT, ignore it as I still hold a current MOT certificate which I could produce to tax my car etc.

This will change with computerised records. Car tax renewal will be available over the internet/telephone as DVLA are able to associate insurance and MOT details prior to the issue of a licence disc.

Can someone clarify the fail situation where the garage is unable to carry out the work required that day. It seems to a be a grey area if your car is booked in for a test/retest as you can still be charged with failing vehicle regulations if stopped by the police? Also the insurance situation with driving a car from the garage after a fail and driving to the garage for a retest?

Insurance companies require that the vehicle is taxed and holds a valid MOT!!

Reply to
sid

Surely the same will still apply - you still hold a valid MOT for your car even though it has failed to gain a new one?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

From what I understand, it looks like the mot centres are making the database it's not linked to the dvla computer

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©

Angus,

If it's not already, when fully operational, it is intended to be linked to the DVLA computer so that the 'boys' sitting behind the ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Reader) cameras in their mobile vans can do a complete check as to whether you car is taxed, insured and MOTd as you pass them - although it cannot tell if the car really is roadworthy or the driver actually has a licence.

That's me being a little cynical by the way, as the DVLA will probably say that it will be even easier to tax your car now as it can be done on-line via the internet and other forms of bull waste products :-)

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Angus McCoatup© ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It'll be linked.

I took one of mine for a new-style MOT on Friday. The certificate was issued about 3pm.

I checked the MOT website at about 8pm, and the details were live.

It'll be linked. You can guarantee that.

Reply to
Adrian

And while we're at it...

It's undoubtedly legal to drive an untaxed, un-MOT-ed, car to a prebooked MOT.

But doesn't that make the insurance invalid?

Reply to
PC Paul

PC Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@home.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Show me where your insurance policy says it would.

Not if the policy doesn't say it would.

Reply to
Adrian

So, where's the link to the MOT website???

Reply to
Paul King

Paul King ( snipped-for-privacy@theobviousdsl.pipex.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

On the certificate...

But it doesn't work currently... It definitely did on Friday.

That'll be a government IT project for you, then. More ID cards, Vicar?

Reply to
Adrian

Shape of things to come, for the whole system

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©

like

When they came to work to show us how it worked and test us I'm sure they said we are making their data base for them. But I may not have been paying enough attention coz I'm NOT looking forward to it.

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©