MOT - take 2

Just booked Piglet in for MOT - they wanted to know engine size etc - and of course the computer does not have him listed. How do I explain to the AA when I get there that it is a 4.6 under the bonnet - despite the plenum saying 3.9 - as does the VIN etc. If they test for emissions on a 3.9 - will he fail?

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

I would have thought emissions for a 3.9 and a 4.6 are the same? 1.5% CO rings a bell. I had our V8 90 mot'd this morning and its a 1986 model with a 1979 Range Rover engine. I asked if he checks it as 1986 or a 1979 and he said unless I can prove with proper documentation that its a 1979 engine he has to check it as a 1986. Which I think is 4.5% for a 1979 and 3.5% for a 1986. Anyway, it passed, as did Discovery (LPG) last week) :-) Richard

Reply to
Richard

I guess a test for a 1997 4.6 will be better than getting them to test for a

2003 4.6 ;-)
Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Just found this in MOT testers manual:

Vehicles fitted with a different engine: Test according to which is older, engine or vehicle. e.g. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes.

Note: The onus is on the vehicle presenter to prove engine age.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Richard,

Cheers - so Piglet is tested as a '97.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Piglet should be tested as a 97 but the test is the same from

1992 onwards the only difference is (possibly) the engine speed for the fast idle test may be higher and (possibly) the value for the lambda sensor but CO and HC are 0.3% and 200ppm irrespective of year

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

On or around Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:01:06 GMT, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

MOT-wise, if it's old enough to be non-cat, you shouldn't have problems. If it's post-93 ( in theory, this refers to the engine) then it should have cats and pass the cat test.

so I should hope...

the figures for the 3.5 hotwire are 0.75%CO and not much HC. MOT requirements are 3.5% and 1200PPM HC, and if it's not doing that, it's bloody far out of tune.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 07 Jun 2004 18:07:34 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

and that's without cats.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

To be pedantic (but it's an important point) there is nowhere in the MoT that requires the tester to check for the presence of cats. They are simply a means to an end, and if that end can be achieved by other means (e.g. testing on LPG) then lack of cats is no obstacle to an MoT pass.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

that wasnt me who said that (about the cats) Richard

Reply to
Richard

I had this discussion with my MOT tester a couple of months ago. He said that on the refresher course he'd just been on, the subject of cats came up. He was told that if a vehicle/engine was required to have cats when it was built then it must have cats fitted to pass the MOT regardless of the emission levels. He was also told that LPG vehicles had to pass a cat test (I'd been told that LPG vehicles only need to comply with a none-cat test).

I have yet to find any documentary evidence to prove him wrong so if you could point me at some I'd be grateful....

I persuaded him to give me the benefit of the doubt this time.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

On or around Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:50:12 +0000 (UTC), Dave White enlightened us thusly:

I think you'll find that LPG vehicles post-93 might have to pass the post-93 emission test, i.e. the cat one. Whether they do this because of having cats or because of clean living is academic. I don't think there's anything that says the cats have to do anything.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

At present the 'bible' (mot testers manual) makes it very clear you CANNOT reject a vehicle that has no CAT's fitted, whether it was suppossed to have them or not, however if it fails the emissions test for the year of vehicles (or engine?) then thats another matter.

LPG vehicles only have to pass a non cat 1986-92 test, ALL gas testers have the same set of directives, when starting the BET (cat) test, one of the first questions, Is vehicle Petrol Y/N if it's lpg you answeer no, then it takes onto a screen for the non cat tests.

No matter what has been said by anyone, unless it is in the MOT testers manual, a tester CANNOT fail it, I would imagine he is talking about upcoming changes... shhhhhhh!

If they want to fail it for those reasons, simply ask to see where in the manual that is a 'Reason for Rejection' then you'll get your pass ;-)

Reply to
murphwiz