Newbie tool set advice

Currently, my car maintenance tasks are restricted to changing the air filter, checking the oil and blowing up the tyres.

But reading through the Haynes manual, I see that most tasks are rated at 2 or 3 "spanners". So I'm thinking of doing more DIY maintenance tasks.

Question: What basic tools do I need? I have basic tools for home DIY. But for car maintenance, sockets & spanners come to mind. Also, some of the engine components are not easily accessible. Will cheapo pound shop tools be OK for may jobs?

Newbie tips welcomed.

Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

I would advise strongly against using cheap tools, at least for the basics.

First priority, as you have realised, are spanners and a decent socket set. Halfords tools generally are not too shoddy, and usually convenient to buy. Draper, although not expensive, are OK.

If you have the Haynes manual, there should be a section in the back advising on tools and workshop facilities. Why not read this, have a look at what you already have, then gradually get the rest as you need it?

Bear in mind that many cars use Torx and other fasteners that may be unfamiliar to you. When you are planning to do your first new job, carry out a "walk-through", imagining undoing everything needed and checking to see that you have the correct sized tool.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

(bruce snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If you don't have any particular liking for the corners on bolts, but are fond of visits to A&E, they'll be fine.

There's two schools of thought to building up a toolkit.

First one says to buy a cheap combo toolkit, accept that tools are going to be made of chocolate, and when they break replace 'em with decent quality. That way you end up with a range of tools - decent quality for the ones you use frequently, chocolate for the ones you rarely use.

The second school says "Sod that. I like my knuckles" and isn't particularly fond of cursing at rounded-off bolts. Adherents to this school do that inch bit more research first, finding out what they're likely to use on their particular car, then just buying what they need, in decent quality from the outset. Halfrauds Pro range has a rep of being a good mix of quality and value, despite being Halfrauds.

Reply to
Adrian

Have a look here:-

They carry a fairly good range of cheap tools. And cheap tools don't need to be crap. A Chrome Vanadium combination spanner set I baught a couple of years ago from them, is still going well with little signs of any wear, and they do get used almost daily. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from Chris Whelan contains these words:

Also, you needn't succumb to machismo and buy a 1/2" drive set. For most uses a 3/8" set is more than adequate and being that bit more compact is handier at getting into small spaces.

Reply to
Guy King

Very good quality, never had an issue with any of the tools I have bought and I do believe if they do break they replace without quibble as they are lifetime guaranteed. Made by Facom I do believe.

Reply to
gazzafield

gazzafield (rufty_tufty snipped-for-privacy@nospam.saysI.ko) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A word frequently levelled at Halfrauds.

Reply to
Adrian

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And plenty of socket extensions. You can *never* have too many socket extensions.

Reply to
Adrian

================== Also look at:

They have a bigger range of tools and their prices tend to be better than Screwfix.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The message from Adrian contains these words:

But beware, the "wobble" type extension, though very handy on occasions, is not strong in its 3/8" incarnation. I'ne snapped the ends off even quite nice ones.

Reply to
Guy King

Top shop, recommended. Chances are you'll also have a store near you too.

Reply to
gazzafield

Thanks for the replies.

This basic socket set at =A38 isn't exactly breaking the bank...

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Get a nice socket set. 3/8"s drive, and if you can, pick up some surface / wall drive sockets which help with stupidly tight nuts and bolts, and round them off less. Decent spanners are required - all the cheap sets I've ever had aren't really the right size (ie, 11mm might be more like 11.5mm, and helps you to round of nuts). As others have said, you'll use some tools more than others. With an old VW you could probably get away buying just a good

11 and 13mm socket for most things.
Reply to
Doki

Thanks for the replies.

This basic socket set at £8 isn't exactly breaking the bank...

Bruce

====================== I would suggest that you buy the next size at :

It has a stronger ratchet (3/8") and a more useful range of sockets.

Check cost of delivery before ordering - can be quite expensive.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The message from bruce snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com contains these words:

I had one of their ratchets let go on me. Dinn'arf skin my knuckles.

Reply to
Guy King

What others haven't mentioned.

For rusty nuts, you really do not want to use a 12 point socket set, but one with hex recesses in them. With 12 point ones, though they are easier to put on, they risk taking the corners off. Something similar to:

May be very handy.

Rusty fastners should be wirebrushed to remove any rust before undoing.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

: Question: What basic tools do I need? I have basic tools for home DIY. : But for car maintenance, sockets & spanners come to mind. Also, some of : the engine components are not easily accessible. Will cheapo pound shop : tools be OK for may jobs?

Lots of excellent advice. I'd just back up the point of view which says "buy good stuf". Bad tools - which normally means cheap tools - are horrible: they damage the workpiece, hurt you and hold up the job when they break.

Most of my sockety stuff is Britool (built up slowly and often cheaply, though I have never regretted the 40 quid I spent of a super-posh ratchet 20 years ago) but since going a bit Citroen I have had to get metric stuff and most of that is Halfords Pro, which seems nicely made and hasn't let me down yet.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

==================== In theory ratchets are intended to be used only for partial tightening or undoing or so I was told many years ago in my youth. Best practice says to use a sliding 'T' bar or other solid bar for 'breaking' and for final tightening. to avoid damage to the ratchet and knuckles. I wonder how many people follow this good advice.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

"Building a basic toolkit"

Lin Chung

bruce snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote in news:1143796645.798793.302420 @u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

I started off with a Kamasa socket set with 1/2 inch drive, got the same in 3/8 and then a few in the ultra little one for 10mm and below. (needed this for bike stuff). Any thing that broke got replaced by Halfords stuff which came with a lifetime guarantee. I've broken a couple of their tools and had them replaced without a murmur. Things like a decent torque wrench and impact driver can come in handy, as can a set of allen keys and torx keys, with the heavily needed size on a socket too.

Reply to
Stuart Gray