Advice please!

I have a 1996 1.3 EFI Fiesta with 106k miles on the clock. (I purchased it recently for £250 as a stop-gap car). The bodywork is generally in quite good condition. The engine is a bit noisy on the top end (tappets I think as a compression test was very good). It burns a small bit of oil (I think the valve stem oil seals are probably on their way out). The MOT expires in August this year. The BIG thing is this. Neither the fan nor the Temp gauge work and it seems (if there is nothing wrong with the wiring) that the ECU is at fault. According to Ford they can't be re-programmed, and a new one is £388!!! I have got money available to put all this right, but would like peoples' opinion on whether it's worth it, or to just run it until the MOT expires, scrap it and get something else. The total sum available for either repairs or a different vehicle is about £1000

Help! What do I do?

Reply to
Gordon

They (almost) all do the noisy rattle, it is not curable by doing the tappets although you may reduce it a bit, it needs camshaft and followers. It is caused by lack of oil changes. They do tend to burn oil when they are abused. have you checked that the sender for the engine coolant is OK? That would be the first thing to do. Otherwise, just add a manual switch for the fan and put it on when stuck in traffic.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

New one fitted - thought that was the initial fault!

Thanks for that idea - that never occurred to me.....

Reply to
Gordon

Or add an automatic switch like this:

or if that won't fit, try Kenlowe:

(You would have to email them.)

Either solution would be less than 388UKP!

I would think it more likely to be an electrical fault rather than the ECU. The fan run signal would be a digital output; the gauge would be an entirely separate analogue one. It would be a large coincidence if both parts of the ECU have failed.

Sorry to ask the obvious, but have you checked the fan fuse? These often blow when the fan seizes after long periods of non-use.

Can you locate a fan relay? If so, with the ignition on try bridging the switch circuit of it. NOTE! Make sure you bridge the correct contacts or you may well need a new ECU! If the fan fails to run, the fault is almost certainly not the ECU.

If the fan runs with the conacts bridged, it might be worth trying a new relay as your next step, on the basis that they are cheap.

If your budget was really tight, and the fan runs as above, you could consider that as a permanent zero-cost solution. Poverty spec MKI Festers actually came from the factory like this, to save the cost of the auto fan switch!

If you did decide you wanted to replace the ECU, a third party repair would be much cheaper than a new one. You would have to send yours away, so you would be without the car for a few days however.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

We looked for one and couldn't find one....

according to Ford there is no relay, it runs staight off the ECU....

If so, with the ignition on try bridging the

Who does that sort of thing?

Reply to
Gordon

Have not used them myself, but have heard good things...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

Nonetheless there will be one.

I would be amazed if this was the case!

When you say "Ford", do you mean the dealer?

Ford TIS for a '96 Fiesta shows the fan relay as K45 in the central junction box. (In the engine bay). If that doesn't check out, can you post specific model and engine details?

It's almost easier to say who doesn't!

It would be pointless to list companies without knowing your location. Googling will throw up lots of them.

Also, local motor factors often act as agents for such companies.

If you are in the SE, I will locate one for you if you want to go down that route.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

We looked both in the fusebox in the engine bay and also under the dash - the only fan fuse we could see was for the internal heating fan....so unless there's an in-line fuse somewhere which is pressty well hidden....

Sorry to be a bit of a numpty, I'm used to classic cars! When you say "central junction box" would that be the big black box with a lot of fuses, a rectifier and various other stuff in it? (Located right-hand end of the scuttle looking from the front...)

Reply to
Gordon

Found the relays, doesn't say which one is K45....... Two yellow on L/H back row, marked 6BD and 6JA, one green on back row marked

6HE four brown on front row, all the same, marked V23074 PA66-6F25 6GE2.

Any clues?

Reply to
Gordon

autodata shows the fan relay as being grey (K12) and the diagram shows the engine bay fuses/relay as having 5 relays spaced a bit apart in a line, a line of fuses and then another line of 5 relays but closer together.

the fan relay is in the line that are further apart, and if that line is furthest away from you then it is the 4th from the left

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Oooh. That's nothing like mine at all.....is this a website you got this from?

Reply to
Gordon

Autodata is a well-respected third-party provider of technical information in the form of both manuals and PC media.It's the independent garage's "bible".

Can you post exactly what Fiesta you have? Is it a leftover from the 1989 to

1995 shape, or an early 1996 to 1999 shape?

Compare here:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's an early 1996-99 shape. 1.3 Endura EFI LX As soon as my wife gets home with the camera I'll post a piccy of the junction box on my Spaces web for you if you need it.. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Gordon

Here is all the information I have from TIS (Ford technical information system.)

Fan supply relay = K45 Fuse for fan = F36 (60A) Fuse for relay = F28 (15A)

(Note for others: an additional fan supply fuse is fitted to post 10/97 cars. This is F33 (30A).)

All these components will be found in the junction box nearest to the battery. There will be a layout diagram on the lid to enable location.

If you are trying to do basic repair and maintenance on this car, apparently without even the owner's manual, perhaps it might be worth investing in the Haynes manual? If you are seeking to save money, these often appear on eBay; there's one on there at the moment currently at 99pence + 3UKP. Alternatively, local libraries will often have them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Generally for the Vauxhall Viva and Ford Cortina IME ;).

Reply to
Doki
[...]

Currently 12 for the Viva, and 52 for the Cortina.

Oh, and 175 for the Fiesta...

So quite a useful resource for someone running an older car on a shoestring then.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

What's a Viva? :)

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Your library has 175 Fiesta manuals ? They should cull their stocks a bit.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

OI, you, outside now.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Hey, it's not my fault it's before my time! I've looked it up now ;)

Reply to
Peter Spikings