Next car?

Mmm. Shame we already have a Scorpio, I fancy another XR4x4.

Be more interested in that F73 estate though ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

They do, but you were worried about insurance on a Golf GTI - a Scirocco will really shock you.

Jetta GTI 16v. Real sleeper, HUGE boot.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

No great issues in my Mondeo. Plugs & leads can be a weak spot, as can the front wishbones.

Apart from that, they're really solid, drive well, plenty of room, and you should be able to pick up a Mk 2 for ~500.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Dodgy handling though, i pulled one out of a bush last night :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Inept driver IMO.

The Mondeo is renowned for its good handling.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Notice the ':)' :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Don't know about the cheese but I fear that you're right about the handling after nearly spinning the thing at a 'straight on' roundabout and also (incredibly) on a 40mph downhill curve at Port Solent!

My mk1 4-door seemed to handle better than my wife's mk2 5-door!

Still, if you don't mind 'not so good' handling, they're great!

Adam h

Reply to
Ex Alfa Adam

I drive a Volvo 340. That's what I'd called "not so good" handling. I'd also like something that isn't *too* likely to cause comments along the lines of "There's no way I'm getting in that shitheap". And for that, a Proton's even worse than a Volvo.

Reply to
Doki

I saw one of those the other day and thought to myself that it would probably be a cracking secondhand buy. Do they handle as well as the Golf?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Or you could spend a bit more and get a later 24v one, if it's a VANOS one all the better. Though I would have thought minimum for one of those would be about a grand. Timing chain though, so no belt to worry about. Just an expensive chain instead...........

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Better. The weight at the back makes them more balanced. Lovely cars and the boot is /huge/.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

In news:J0J0d.5188$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net, Pete M decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Damn and blast, two Welsh blokes turned up tonight and bought it. No haggling or f*ck all "Here's the cash then"...

Reply to
Pete M

In article ,=20 snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk spouted forth into=20 uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Do the paperwork ASAP, they probably want it for sheep rustling or=20 something.

Nobody does that. Everybody wants some money off if they can get it.

--=20 Carl Robson (The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

MeatballTurbo

You didn't care what your Ka and Volvo looked like, otherwise you wouldn't have bought them ?

You want the moon on a stick, you do !

:)

Reply to
Nom

Bottom ends are pretty strong, afterall they shoved these lumps in transits :-) Timing chain needs doing at 100K, just make sure you have receipts for the work done, much smoother motor than a pinto.(not hard..)

Reply to
Chris

A mate of mine has his Citroen BX TD estate up for sale - it's quick, plastic-bodied, and can have three bikes slung in the boot. You should be able to find one for less than 500 notes too. Since it's white, (well, various shades of grey) huge and generally knackered, it got christened the Millenium Falcon. And it can sit at the ton without bankrupting you as well.

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

James Dore ( snipped-for-privacy@new.oxford.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, it's not. The bonnet and tailgate are, but the shell is steel. They don't rot badly, though.

Easily.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

I looked at two when I was looking for a diesel estate - and they were both rotten really badly inside the boot floor.

Reply to
Guy King

Indeed - lots of nice galvanising.

cheers, clive