Nissan Micra 2003 start problems

Whenever I leave the car standing for more than 5 days without driving it the battery is completely flat, and I need to jumpstart it. After the battery has been recharged it starts without any problems again. The battery is brandnew, so that can't be the problem.

The guy who jumpstatred my car the last time said this would be a known problem with some micras, some circuit would be sucking the battery dry slowly?

Would appreciate any input as I know nothing about cars, and have to argue my case with the garage...

Thanks:)

Reply to
hartmann.ines

Does it have an active alarm?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Firstly, one or two deep discharges can kill a battery, if you get unlucky, in such a way that it partially shorts one or more cells, which causes it to rapidly discharge. What I Would Do...

Disconnect the battery cable. Connect a multimeter on the 10A range in series with the battery cable. See if any current is flowing. If it's not, or if it's under .05A, then it's not the battery at fault.

Do not try to start the car with the multimeter in circuit!

Now, remove fuses one by one (reinserting them after you remove them) and find out at what point the current drops to zero.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Yes, that's the strategy I'd take. Further details:

Lin Chung