Approx MPG of 6-year old Mondeo/Vectra

I would like some help to work out petrol costs for a journey in someone else's car.

I don't have all the info so a very approx consumption figure is all I'm looking for.

QUESTION: What MPG would a car like a Mondeo (or maybe it's a Vectra) do on a journey which is nearly all motorway but also has some town and country roads?

Let's say it's 80% motorway, 10% town and 10% country roads. I would guess the car is about 6 years old.

Thanks.

Reply to
Don

"Don >" I would like some help to work out petrol costs for a journey in someone

When you know what car it is, have a look on

for approximate figures. It depends on engine size, fuel type, style of driving, manual or auto and speeds - not to mention the overall condition and whether aircon is on or off. The driver will tell you how much fuel it is using over the distance if you ask, then you can work it out. As a guess - petrol - 25 to 30mpg under 2litre engine, up to 40mpg for a diesel, take a few off for a boy racer/heavy foot, high speeds and weight or aircon switched on, also a few off for larger engines and automatics. An auto will use more on a cold start as it stays in low gears for longer until it warms up.

Reply to
ray

On a run like that my 4.4 automatic will return high 20's and my 2.0 vauxhall easily over 30mpg.

Reply to
adder1969

IME

1.8 litre around 36MPG, 2 litre around 32MPG on a fair mix. Add about 4MPG to both for motorway cruising.
Reply to
Conor

If you work on 25 mpg for a petrol V6 , 30 for a petrol 2.0 and 35 for a petrol 1.8 you wont be far out.

The diesels would be roughly 45

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Also depends enormously on road conditions. There's nothing like maintaining a steady speed to optimise the mpg, and one cannot do this on a busy motorway.

My all time record is 48mpg from my old 1.6 Primera. This was achieved on a long motorway based trip on a weekend, carrying 2 passengers both ways. Speed was constantly maintained at an indicated 70mph.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

I find the speed is usually steadier on a busy one than on a not-so-busy one bvut I know what you mean.

I got way more than that once but it was from the top of a mountain....

Reply to
adder1969

Hmmm............ my late model 2.0 Cav ( same engine as Vectra ) averages 36mpg with 40 on a run.

Reply to
IanDTurner