nissan sunny poor running

1988 sunny, 1270cc manual, auto choke: hi, when the car is cold it sometimes seems to "stutter" then when the engine warms its ok but seems a bit under powered and hesitates when accelerating after changing gear.could this be a carb problem? any ideas? thanks.mark.w
Reply to
mark williams

Have a look for air leaks, try new plugs.

Genuine carburettor problems are extremely rare these days.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks for the reply, when you say air leaks do you mean the vacuum pipes and the seal between the air cleaner and the carb? I have checked the plugs and rotor and dizzy cap and they seem ok but I am going to change soon cheers mark.w

Reply to
mark williams

Vaccuum leaks typically at takeoffs for small pipes as well as at manifold and carb connections. Get a tin of spray carb cleaner, with the engine running spray any suspect points, if the engine speed changes noticeably then you have found a leak.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Bloody ell - it must be SUnny day today. My 93 1600 estate was on it's way for it's MOT when it exhibited similar systems. Figuring I was already on the way to the garage, I gave it a bit of welly figuring - kill or cure - and it coughed a bit and picked up - problem gone - oooer missus.

She passed the MOT too :)

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon