Nissan Bluebird problems

Hello, My H reg Nissan Bluebird has recently developed a serious problem; wonder if anyone could suggets a likely cause. Here are the symptoms:

  1. Car starts first time in the morning and runs perfectly from cold
  2. Car runs fine until it has thoroughly warmed up after 10-15 minutes
  3. Once warm, it starts to lose power - won't rev over about 3000 RPM, runs very rough
  4. Eventually, stalls, and refuses to restart. Has to be pushed to the side of the road.
  5. After 5 minutes, starts, and runs normally. Problem then goes away until the following morning (when the car is used later in the day it is fine).

Seems to me it must be either blocked fuel flow or ignition. I'd appreciate ideas. It actually behaves as if the engine has flooded, but I don't know how that can happen when it is running.

Thanks

Reply to
Steve Burt

Clearly an engine management problem. Cold start device is holding on due to failure of engine temperature sensor. Then again, it could be an electrical component that's playing up when it gets warm. One of the few times it's probably worth paying for a diagnostic test. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

Could be carb icing. Check the hot air flow to the carb (assuming it has one)

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

What the hell are you on? An H reg Nissan- engine management?! Come on...!!!

Carb icing, Carb icing, Carb icing, Carb icing. End of story.

The end; it's mini adventure.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

What the hell are you on? An H reg Nissan- engine management?! Come on...!!!

Thanks for the input. I'm actually on about 1990 Nissan Bluebird 1.8. Original Manufacturers Equipment:- Engine management ecu, Part Number: A18

000 C33. Temperature Sender/Sensor: Bosch 0 280 130 023. Of course it could a blocked fuel pipe, or choked breather on fuel tank, or ignition leads or 'carb icing'. DaveK.
Reply to
DaveK

Thanks for all the feedback, chaps.

I'll check the hot air feed to the carburettor; certainly carb icing would explain the symptoms, and also why it only seems to happen when the weather is cold. I must say I'm surprised a 1990 Bluebird has anything as sophisticated as an ECU, but there you go. I don't think its the ignition leads, as I'd expect it then to have problems starting, and it doesn't; why would such a problem only manifest when the engine is hot? and why would it go away after resting the engine a few minutes?

Could be a temp/choke problem, except I checked the choke and it all seems to be working as expected - the flap is open initially and closes as the engine warms up, as it should (closes a bit too soon, actually, but that's another problem, though one that I can live with).

Reply to
Steve Burt

Is it a twin choke Hitachi carb? If it is, then it could be a flake of petrol varnish or a bit of hose rubber in the float bowl. There's a horizontal jet right at the lower side of the bowl that has a groove in the bottom of the bowl leading towards the jet that collects any muck and aims it at the sucking jet and completely blocks the jet off all the time there is suction. Once the engine is switched off for a short while the muck can float away until the next time the engine has run for long enough to go through the collect/suck/block cycle again.

There may be a float bowl drain plug you can try - you may get lucky and lose the muck when the petrol is dumped. The best permanent cure is to fit an extra fuel filter in the petrol feed just prior to the carb.

Your minor choke flap problem may be fixed by rotating the bimetallic strip heater slightly, there's 2 locking screws to slacken a little then the whole shebang rotates. A few degrees rotation should do the trick, you'll have to work out which way to turn it by watching the choke flap.

Back to your main problem, another possibility is the ignition coil, if they're on the way out they tend to get worse after a few minutes of current flowing through them.

Reply to
Steve B

Do you have an ECU under the front seat? If so it may have blink codes that can be read out. all you will need is a Haynes manual, a phillips screwdriver and a plane blade screw driver. The stored codes should give you some idea of where the problem is.

Reply to
dsr

I had a problem with an E reg (87) Bluebird, it detects the roadspeed via the Speedo,and adjust the idle speed . I thought it was too old for that,but them Nissan peeps are clever! Maybe not hi-tec engine management but still engine management.

Reply to
Fred

No, there's no ECU in my car. Only the Turbo and fuel injection models have an ECU. Mine just uses old fashioned mechanical stuff.

I had a fiddle around at the weekend - I think the problem may have been due to the hose which delivers the hot air having a split in it - I've fixed that, and resited the hose so that it is taking hot air from the manifold. Also loosened the valve which admits the hot air to the system - flipped it up and down a few time vigorously in case it was sticking.

Problem hasn't re-occurred, but it has got warmer, so it may still happen again when we get a really cold morning; fingers crossed.

Reply to
Steve Burt

10-1 you've found the fault, and effectively fixed it :)

Happy Christmas

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

What the hell are you on? An H reg Nissan- engine management?! Come on...!!! > Carb icing, Carb icing, Carb icing, Carb icing. End of story.

Thanks for the input. I'm actually on about 1990 Nissan Bluebird 1.8. Original Manufacturers Equipment:- Engine management ecu, Part Number: A18 000 C33. Temperature Sender/Sensor: Bosch 0 280 130 023. Of course it could a blocked fuel pipe, or choked breather on fuel tank,or ignition leads or 'carb icing'.

10-1 you've found the fault, and effectively fixed it :)

Not engine management system or temperature sensor then (as we are told that the car is without such devices). DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

It has temperature sensors all over the place, but no engine management.

Problem re-occurred this morning, so I've not fixed it. Looks like either the temp sensor inside the air filter, or the vacuum driven valve which lets hot air in have failed. Probably the latter; now to try and track down spare parts.....

Reply to
Steve Burt

Well you can test that by sucking very hard.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Hi I'm just wondering I have a 1989 Nissan bluebird 1.6 lx and it is very hard to start when cold when heated up she starts it pick could you tell me any ideas what could be the problem thanking you john Galvin my email address is snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ie

Reply to
johngalvin62

Possibly the automatic choke has failed or just stuck in the open position.

Reply to
MrCheerful

How do I change the alternator copper brass from my Nissan bluebird sylphy qg18 2003 model?

Reply to
rrangsnam

hi check your pickup sensor and crank sensor usually when there are faulty they do the same time so try to replace the with new ones

Reply to
gcebilengozo