No more tax discs

Saw this in the paper today. George Osborne will announce that details will be registered online and traffic cameras will automatically track vehicles etc etc. Fair enough, that has been the case for several years. The article goes on "A treasury spokesman said the change would save British businesses ?7million a year in administrative costs" Can anyone explain to me how any British business is going to save anything from this measure? Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Not distributing tax discs to fleet vehicles, at a guess. £7M seems a bit much though.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I could imagine that the government (well, DVLA) could save more than £7M a year from not having to print millions of tax disks every year. Or was that itemised separately?

Reply to
David Taylor

So without a tax disc to surrender how do you claim the unused tax back?

How does anyone know that the car has valid tax? You buy a car that the .gov online data says has 12 months tax and as you drive away the seller can cancel it and claim 11 months back. A week or so into the next month you WILL get pulled for no tax.

It's fraud but if your receipt doesn't state "including tax to ...." or you don't have a witness to the sale and agreement you don't have a leg to stand on. And the crime record is still yours even if you get financial recompense.

Reply to
Peter Hill

You fill in the same form as now, but you don't need to tick the "I've lost the disc" box.

You look at the website that's been running for the thick end of a decade. The same one that tells you they haven't already applied for a refund and fibbed about having lost the disc.

FFS, Ned Ludd is spinning in his grave.

Reply to
Adrian

You could do that now.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

one of my neighbours stopped displaying a tax disc a year ago, uses the car everyday, no insurance either, he parks it off road at each end of his journeys and so has managed to evade being clamped.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

My son and I have both been "pulled" on the road, in each case because insurance brokers/companies transposed two digits of the registration number when logging it.

Reply to
newshound

We drove round for about three months without trouble despite none of the cars being registered on the MID, for some reason the numbers have to be put on each year by the broker and they had failed to do so. I only found out by idly checking askmid site.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Hehe. Mqark my words. Ten months ago on the 05/02/ 2013 19:53 I wrote the following in this very motoring ng:

"Tax disc is an anacronism IMO. Completely unnessary these days with mobile access to central DVLA. Should be done away with ASAP. "

But I just got a lot of stick here...

I think when they know that the car is insured from ANPR, then I see no reason why we need Tax disks. They look ugly and obscure some of the front view. Motoring journos always remove the Tax disc when taking photos of an car they write about.

Feeling smug? yes I do.

Reply to
johannes

On two opccasiuons with camara recognition systems at airoport parking, and at parking in Bracknel, the registration number printed on the ticket came out wrong. On both occations the letter "O" was interpreted as "D". I have completely clean standard issue reg plates, have never been changed.

Reply to
johannes

VED puts north of five billion quid a year into government funds. How would they fill that hole...?

Oh, pur-leeeaze!

Reply to
Adrian

I didn't suggests to scrap the VED.

You can't get VED'ed without MOT and insurance right. But they know if you haven't got either MOT or insurance from ANPR, or they can just dial you in on their mobile equipment, hence it follows...

Reply to
johannes

Errrm, Osborne hasn't said when this will be implemented...

Reply to
Gordon H

the changes are expected to come into effect in oct 2014

Reply to
Mrcheerful

My neighbour has been driving his two vehicles untaxed for over two years without once being pulled. One car is used daily and the other once or twice a week. It has been reported to DVLA and the local plod without making any difference. Plod claim that it has nothiong to do with them?? So why do they have ANPR vehicles? Are they as effective as the old TV detector vans?

Reply to
prb

Take numbers and names of the plod and write to the Chief Constable and get their opinion if it is really nothing to do with them.

Reply to
The Other Mike

But Plod will pull others over, why not these two? Maybe contact your local newspaper or TV station, they may be interested in the story.

Reply to
Davey
[...]

The responsibility for untaxed vehicles lies solely with the DVLA, not the police. (In theory, there is an offence of 'not displaying' but it's seldom used, and of course will soon be redundant.)

ANPR has many uses; checks on insurance, MOT, and the status of the driving licence of the registered keeper. However, the most valuable use is a bit 'big brother', and that is to keep track of the movement of potential or actual criminals.

Much more so.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan