No Timewasters Please in car ads?

In the likes of autotrader why do people include "no timewasters please" in the advert? Why would anybody go to view a car they werent really interested in? And I am not talking about adverts for exotic supercars.

Also why do some car dealer ads include the likes of "adjustable seats, anti roll bars" etc in their car ads?

Reply to
Tony R

Bulk it out make it sound better...

Instead if saying '98 Corsa 1.7D 125'000 Mud splattered Black, Noisy Rattley and uncomfortable. Internal gadgets limited, produces smokescreen in the morning. A snip at only £16K (no time wasters)

I might say something like...

'98 Corsa 1.7D, reasonable intersteller mileage, recently had attention to tappets, new glow plugs fitted, ideal concealment and camouflage car. Speedo, Temp Gauge, Fuel gauge, selectable air flow/speed, removable radio/cassette, 5 doors 6 wheels, Beautiful Wax Black finish, yellow aerial, New carpet off-cut mats ( more available at no extra cost). Yours for only £16K ( no timewasters)

Which would you prefer?

Reply to
Tom Burton

Oh wow... I'll take two.

Reply to
Sean

Personally, I'd go with the 1st one.

Reply to
Mark

At least you know its honest!

Oh I forgot to mention the cracked bumper and half missing front valence.... But I can find that if I can recall where it came off!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

I get the impression that advertisers use the expression "timewaster" just to mean anyone who doesn't buy their car. The old chestnut "re-advertised due to timewaster" often means "someone looked at my clapped out piece of shit and didn't buy it".

What about "no test pilots please" - that always cracks me up. Or the rank unoriginality and waste of space that is "first to see will buy"...

Don't forget the super-redundant "genuine reason for sale". For example, isn't "I want to sell my own property" genuine enough?? ;-))

Reply to
DocDelete

There are very few things as tragic as an advert in the Autotrader for a classic or sports car with the words "baby forces sale".

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

The message from "DocDelete" contains these words:

Harleys or Farleys?

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Colin Stamp contains these words:

For preferrence a trailer with seats for 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

Like this one?

Chris

Naaah, Harleys come later on, usually at the first sign of a grey hair, beard and a beergut ;-))

Reply to
DocDelete

Odd - me dad got a Blackbird, but I'm putting money on a K100 next....

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

The message from "DocDelete" contains these words:

That's OK if you're not the one looking after the kids. The garage with my kitcar in is too far from the house.

Reply to
Guy King

In the evening I *am* the one looking after him, but he's in a bed by 8.30. Leaves me a useful couple of hours - my garage is in the far corner of my garden, and I'm only really put off in bitter cold weather.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some sort of desperate rocker cover polisher - but puttering around with a spanner for a few minutes can help take your mind off life's little troubles ;-)

(and replaces them with car-based troubles)

Reply to
DocDelete

The message from "DocDelete" contains these words:

Mine's five doors away, sadly!

Reply to
Guy King

C'mon Guy - put on the fingerless gloves, get the thermos and pipe, the transistor radio - get down there and tarry a while!

Over and oot

Reply to
DocDelete

My Mum went for a Virago (at 53) for her first bike because she said the Harleys were a bit heavy and she was worried it might crush her if it ever fell over!

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Seems fair.. I have my garden after all... but my first is 18 months old.

Similar here on the money, except that SWMBO is doing a PHD and her grant doesn't quite cover the cost of 3 days nursery per week so we'll be no better off when we move to #2 after she's a Dr. of food poisoning bugs.

At this time of year, I'm decorating and cooking along with prepping the garden for the latest spectacular of.. dog trampled beds.

I get as much time with both of the women in my life as possible though so even that stuff get back burned.

I'm banned from getting a kit or a high performance fix up until I've finished a list of jobs the length of the (as yet uncarpeted) stairs.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

snip

I gave up making (or accepting!) lists years ago. It's so depressing.

Ever heard of "painting the Forth Road Bridge"? ;-)

Reply to
DocDelete