annoying question / incitement to violence / opinions please

Right, damn escort, hate hate hate.

Okay, if I was to buy 3k of something, which of these would I want that

3k to be of? Or, probably more importantly, which would I definitely NOT want it to be of?

Galant Rover Saab Mondeo Scorpio Omega Frontera Vitara Rav-4 Neon Laguna Audi

Petrol or diesel, preferably auto, non-estate and not red ;)

What's crap, what's good, what have I missed? What will big expensive bits start falling off of soon? What has big expensive bits to fall off? etc etc.

Vaguest question ever / invitiation fot hate mail or what? ;)

Chandy

Reply to
chandy

first, define what you need, then the answer is easier

Reply to
mrcheerful

I reckon you could get an immaculate Morris Marina.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

That's a lot of the problem. Just the missus and I so there's no real _need_ for anything other than four wheels. Hence why the list is really a 'quite like in some way but I could easily be persuaded away from and really just looking for inspiration' kind of list. Chandy

Reply to
chandy

Like this one?

Wouldn't mind that much! Okay, the colour's maybe a bit off-putting and the 350 miles is a bit of an issue.. :)

Reply to
chandy

As a huge generalisation, with many exceptions I'm sure:

Anything with a Japanese or Swedish sounding name is good. Anything with a French sounding name will incite you to violence on about the 35th occasion something goes wrong with the fecking thing. But it will look, well, sort of chic. If you like that kind of thing over the ability to actually get you from A to B with the minimum of uncertainty.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

*puts a little '+' next to Galant (as long as it's the pointy shape), a little '-' by the laguna* Ideally I want whatever it is to need lightly tickled with a duster just before it flies through its MOT every year for the next, say, four? Oil air and sparks is fine but no damn electicery problems or, well, as you say, anything french (or fiat). Don't care much about looks, long as it's not a shed (ok, reliable comfy shed is fine), didn't I put Scorpio up there? :) Hmm, Japanese, hmm, '99 Mondeo LX auto with 68k for 1995, hmm..
Reply to
chandy

Anything Jap or Swedish, are generally reliable, but should anything go wrong, parts are expensive. French are a bit hit or a miss. Renaults I would stay well clear off. Peugeot are generally better than Citreons. Rover - don't get a petrol one (headgaskets are nearly classed as a service item on them) Ford - do there job, bit less reliable than jap/swedish but parts are far cheaper. (but you don't want a scorpio - the fuel gauge moves quicker than the speedo) Audi - anything in your price band will be starting to show it's age, (esp. suspension which depending on model, parts aren't cheap)

Personally I wouldn't recommend an auto in that price band. You might get a good one, but then again you might get a bad one, and they're not cheap to sort.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

In news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@totalise.co.uk decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Buy a W124 Mercedes, preferably a E320 estate, and never have to replace your car again.

HTH

Reply to
Pete M

definitely

maybe

likely

if you need cheap servicing

ugly

maybe but be fussy and find a nice one

no way

you're having a laugh now

only if you're gay

bwahahahahahahhahaaaaaa sell it to the dervman he has a Ka and it's a sideways move

French. Don't.

Nothing clever for 3 grand, but solid.

Volvo.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The message from snipped-for-privacy@totalise.co.uk contains these words:

Not as bad as the white ones with the brown interior. Like driving a soiled nappy, they were.

Reply to
Guy King

Errm any Audi in that price bands got cheap suspension, it's the newer ones that are expensive

They're normally in better nick than the manuals though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

( snipped-for-privacy@totalise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

"Drives well"?!? So it's been fairly heavily modified, then?

Reply to
Adrian

The V6?

Or maybe not it seems (head gaskets).

How long do the turbos last? Parts prices?

Which it isn't for clutches/gearboxes apparently?

True but have seen a black one with chrome trim which didn't even make me gag!

Or avoid like hell cause they're crap it seems? (previous threads on here).

Why you interested? :P (note: not gay)

Solid sounds good.

Again, avoid the turbos at that age or what?

I think, unless it's a merc, I'm going to have to impose an 85k milage limit too.

Hmmmmmmmm....

Reply to
chandy

In news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@totalise.co.uk decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

If it's a Merc, it'll be old, but utterly bombproof.

My W124 260E is on 166000 miles, still utterly rattle free, still smooth and free of sogginess.

In the few months I've had it, it's done 4500 miles, used two litres of oil (they have been pretty hard miles), and needed an electric window switch replacing.

Could do with an exhaust downpipe - £67.00, and the thermostat housing leaks slightly £21.00.

Other than a bit of wear on the drivers seat backrest, it'd easily pass for

3 or 4 years old condition wise. Not bad for a 16 year old car which cost under a grand.
Reply to
Pete M

Not utterly. My 124 230TE suffered terminal cylinder head corrosion at about 130K. Body was fantastic, and everything worked, but the demand for parts when I broke it suggested that a lot of the gizmos tend to fail.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

That'll add a lot to the price & most likely do bugger all for the reliability, One previous owner 5 year old , fully serviced 30K/year repmobiles are the bargain of the large car market.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Don't suppose any reps use v6 galant auto's do they? :)

Reply to
chandy

For about oooooo......... £5000 :O)

Reply to
George Spigot

Just came across another alternative. Ok so it's not an auto but it sure looks nice :) Alpha 156 1.8 TS saloon with 80k on it for 3295.

Or is an alpha with 80k on it just asking for trouble?

Reply to
chandy