Noddy Plugs question

When you buy plugs for a modern car - do you still have to adjust the gap or is all that stuff history ?

as you can tell - i'm a keen mechanic :)

Reply to
novmber

Unless they've been dropped or something they should be set to the correct gap. As long as they're the correct ones for your car of course :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

It's such a trivial task, why not check anyway?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No they wont. Different cars use the same plug with different gaps.

Some plugs do come pre-gapped but they'll be labelled as such.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

I can't remember the last time I had to gap a plug (I still check each and every one).

Every plug I've bought in at least the last 10 years has been gapped correctly for the engine it's to be used in (even the Zetec ones which have had the official gap changed).

Of course, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just pointing out my experience :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

For many a year plugs have come set to a standard gap. It may or may not be correct for your car, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it wasn't - would it pink like mad and be very obvious ?

For many a year plugs have come set to a standard gap. It may or may not be correct for your car, though.

Reply to
novmber

Fairy nuff. From the NGK website though :-

'While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for.'

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

If they'd made that 'might' rather than 'must' it would be more accurate. But of course they should be checked before fitting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)