Noise of petrol sloshing about?

I've never heard it before in my old Fiesta, but for the last few months, the sound of petrol sloshing back and forth behind the back seat as I turn corners is very noticeable. I doubt that my hearing has improved dramatically, and I can't think of any large voids back there where that amount of water might be collecting.

I remember changing the fuel pump in the missus's Ka, and I remember seeing a large circular baffle in the middle of the tank. Is it likely that I have one too, that has fallen off? Maybe some soundproofing has come adrift?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

It's not unknown.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks. It's the only thing I can think of, but not so easy to check :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I recently had a similar noise in my Laguna. Removing the drain plug from the O/S rear door released a surprising amount of water.

Reply to
Ken Graves

I hope you went round the car cleaning out all the various window etc drain tubes? Especially the sunroof ones, if your car has one of them. Failure to do this can result in water all over the fusebox, with attendant sounding of vehicle alarm as contacts get shorted. Followed by failure of engine to start until everything is dried out.

Been there, done that, with my Laguna 11.

Reply to
Davey

It doesn't have rear doors, and the front doors have holes at the bottom, so it doesn't fill up :-) If it was in the hatch, I think it would have poured out of the trim last time I lifted it up.

It's definitely going from one side to the other, and it sounds like a /lot/ of liquid is moving. I can't imagine there being a cavity large enough to produce the sound I'm hearing.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

P10 Primeras used to fill their sills with water. I had to drill drain holes in mine!

My MX5 had a tendancy to do it, too.

Reply to
Steve H

If it is tank related the sound will change depending on how full/empty the tank is. Fully fill or fully empty it and it ought to stop if it is tank related.

Reply to
Scott M