Non Switchy offy cinquecento

I just picked up a cheapy cinquecento for the missus from the auctions. Problem being that it doesn't switch off when I remove the key.

I'm thinking it might be something to do with the aftermarket Foxguard it's got fitted. Supposedly, according to what little documentation I've got with it, it's got a switch hidden somewhere to override it, so if I could find it I could at least rule it out as the cause if nothing else?

Any other suggestions of what could be the problem? I'm useless with electrics and having to stall the car to stop it is becoming a bit of a drag.

Many thanks.

Reply to
MikeL

What do you mean doesn't switch off? It acts as if the ignition key is in and turned to the last position and everything works or the engine just keeps running but, for example, the gauges on the dash stop working?

Reply to
Conor

Ah sorry, I should have been more clear. The engine keeps running, but everything else seems to act as if the key has been removed i.e. the gauges and lights on the dash stop working. The battery light is illuminated though.

Reply to
MikeL

Well, if it was a lot older I'd say it needed a decoke..

Presumably it's a carburettor model? Injectors really ought to shut off when you take the key out.

You can kill it easily in a decokey sort of way: while stopped, dip the clutch, into 4th/5th, foot on the brake, bring up the clutch.

Stopped.

Reply to
PC Paul

He's having to do just that. The OP is asking how to cure the problem. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I know that. I started with a suggestion...

Then I suggested how to cope with it while doing the least damage to the car. I've known people who just stall out of running on every time for months, and never bothered to fix it.

Reply to
PC Paul

Nah, it's a injection.

I'm lazy, but I'd rather not give in and to resort to that :)

Reply to
MikeL