start button switchy thing DONT LAUGH

right guys after picking the cavvy up with a buggered ignition barrel. i'm not too keen on starting it all the time with a screw driver.

Decided to dispense with the barrel altogether and install a pair of switches,

would appreciate some thoughts from the slightly more electrically inclined members to point me in the right direction

currently its a 2 seperate switch setup atm, 1 activates dash lights(ala stage 1 on the ignition

and 2 is for starting the bleeding thing

so i toddled off down to maplin and picked up the following

for the dash lights( to be mounted in line with a fuse and an immobiliser switch (which will be hidden well)

and for starting duties and for a bit of chav style bling

total cost was about 8 quid which is a damn site cheaper than either a cheap n nasty kit off ebay or a replacement barrel :)

anyone care to give me a few pointers on installing?

or call me daft and tell me to spend a third of what the car cost on a replacement barrel :)

Reply to
Rob

That has a 1A current rating. I'm not sure what the setup is on the cav, but it's possible that the ignition switch has to drive the starter solenoid, in which case you should use your switch to drive a ~40A relay, and the relay to feed the starter solenoid*. If there is already a relay for the solenoid, then the switch'll be fine.

*any old automotive relay will do.

Hell, if it's that cheap, start it by twisting wires together, like in the films :-D

Reply to
Albert T Cone

nah popped the barrel out and currently using a choice of screwdrivers or allen key to start :)

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" wrote in news:qT40h.4798$RR2.651@newsfe2- win.ntli.net:

You need something with a big red button, you do. Get one of these and adapt it

Tunku