Not car related but to do with 2 stroke engine

I hope this isn't too far off topic. Have inherited a lawnmower with Briggs & Stratton Quantum 1cyl petrol engine. Engine has an oil dip stick and oil filler. Plate on mower (not engine) says 2 stroke. I've never before come across a 2 stroke petrol with circulated oil lubrication before. Do I use 2 stroke fuel or neat petrol? Thanks Nick.

Reply to
Nick

"Nick" wrote

Hi Nick, how old would you say this lawn mower was? IME, most lawnmowers have a 2-stroke engine but run on neat petrol, using a "flicker spoon" mounted on the main bearing cap to splash oil around the cylinder wall from below, rather than mixing oil with the petrol.

B& S use a thinly disguised version of the Suffolk engine so I doubt if it is radically different.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

two stroke , the filler and dipstick may well be lubing other areas of the machine

Reply to
steve robinson

most mowers are now 4 stroke , the suffolk my dad had was 4 stroke (early seventies) the briggs on my old mower was 4 stroke

Reply to
steve robinson

I'd be tempted to go down to your nearest lanmower sales place and have a look at similar engines. I've only come across 4 stroke B&S engines before so I'd be wary of the plate information.

You could just fire it up and listen to it. 2 & 4 stroke engines sound quite different.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Lofty.

Has it got valves?

Reply to
Boris The Spider

The message from Boris The Spider contains these words:

If it's an L-head it's not always easy to tell at a glance.

Reply to
Guy King

Mine's 4 stroke and has a separate dipstick/filler for the transmission oil.

Reply to
adder1969

nick i worked on a golf course for a long time using same kind of 2 stroke mowers there is no need to mix oil with fuel just carry on using it with no mix may need to add a lead replacement every now and agin though in the fuel

hope this helps

Reply to
mikepine

And the lead replacement would be for what exactly?

Somehow I doubt it...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

DONT!!!

You will knacker it. What did you base your advice on?

Reply to
Matt

Perhaps on the fact that maybe his mowers are actually 4 stroke (in which case the advice would make some sense).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

The message from "Matt" contains these words:

Not having to pay for the repairs, I suspect.

If it really is two-stroke, which I doubt if it's a Briggs and Stratton engine then it'll either have an auto-oiler tank which you fill and it doses the inlet for you, or you have to use premix. Failing to do at least something about the oil will kill a 2-stroke very rapidly.

Reply to
Guy King

But he's giving incorrect advice based on 2 Stroke.

Reply to
Matt