Mondeo Alternator - Am I Being Lied To?

Hi,

bought a 2005 Mondeo Estate 3 weeks ago. Same day I detected a loud rattle and took back to be told it needed a new gearbox. Booked it in for two days last week and it took them four to fix it! Got it back on Friday and on Sunday accelerated up a hill, heard noise under bonnet of something falling. Stopped and picked up round metal object that has something to do with the fan belt I think as not long after the battery light came on and on insepction the fan belt has come off all the 'cogs'. Wife took to garage today to be told the alternator had 'gone' but that that has nothing to do with the work done on gearbox as that is on the other side of the engine. Is it just coincidence that two things go wrong at the same time or could the work carried out last week have led to incorrect assembly of fan belt etc leading to this part falling off?

Reply to
cgc

You are being lyed to yes (tohugh it could be bad luck)- in order to drop the engine / gearbox subframe to facilitate replacing / working on the gearbox, the alternator has to be removed for clearance.

Start speaking firmly to the Service manager at the garage...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

cgc ( snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Hmmm, I think at that point my response would have been "No, I need my money back..."

Reply to
Adrian

you don't need to remove the alternator to remove the gearbox, as the OP stated its the opposite end of the engine. ive done plenty of clutch changes which requires the subframe & obliviously the gearbox being removed without removing the alternator, I would say it was just coincidence.

Reply to
reg

Assuming it wasn't a private sale, yes I would agree. This would be well covered by consumer legislation.

Reply to
Brian

You do on the Duratec HE Mondeo's.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

cgc wrote in news:1180947975.113627.38140 @p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Get rid of it fast. Tell the garage to get to f*ck and money back or you will go postal. Get ALL your money back and go elsewhere. What are you thinking? Would you buy a house or a washing machine that s**te? Get your money back whilst you can.

Reply to
Tunku

Go and see Citizens Advice and/or Trading Standards *fast* - they obviously saw you coming and sold you a lemon. Then completely failed to fix it.

You need to know what your legal options are. You should be aiming to get all your money back and never go near that garage again.

Reply to
PC Paul