number plates

Why is it so many people get away with breaking the law with regards to the style of number plates, italics are illegal, one line motorcycle plates are illegal why don't the police do something about it?

Joe

Well with a larger plate there would be a lot of extra drag.

I guess it's because the performance of bikes is so awful round corners that they can't really take any more aerodynamic issues without becoming dangerous to ride.

Aerodynamics is obviously not a problem for the middle-aged-spread riders though so maybe the law should be changed to only allow the younger fitter riders to use small plates?

Reply to
PC Paul

Simply they don't have the resources/time. If they stopped every vehicle with a dodgy number plate, then they'd have no time left to deal with other motoring offences.

Reply to
M Cuthill

Like having tinted windows?

Reply to
Art Deco

Its a real shame you have no powers to confiscate the dodgy plates and let the owners make arrangements to replace them - before they're allowed to remove the car.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Tinted windows are not illegal, tinted windscreen would be at night/reduced visibility

or that's how the law stood as I understood it.

loopy livernose

again going back to mot's any vehicles that comes in with tinted windows VOSA have advised us to advise our customers that they "may" have illeagally tinted windows and if they pulled over by a VOSA officer they would be checked with a light meter.

a.. Front Windscreen: 25% (they must let 75% light through) a.. Front Windows (i.e drivers and passengers): 30% (70% light must get through) a.. All other windows - No restriction.

Reply to
reg

loopy livernose ( snipped-for-privacy@askfor.my.address) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think you may have misunderstood it.

There is a maximum limit on the amount of tint - or, rather, on the amount of light cut out by the tint - on the windscreen and any windows forward of the B pillar.

It's a tangible standard, and there's hand-held VLT (Visible Light Transmission) meters which can be used to test.

Reply to
Adrian

I once jokingly had a go at a Plod I know about this.

The reply was "Oh we love people with dodgy number plates". These days, the "suspicion" laws being what they are, if they want to stop someone they have to have good reason. So they finish up following them for miles waiting for them to commit an offence. Then they can stop them.

With a dodgy number plate they can stop them immediately, inform them about that, then do what they REALLY wanted to stop them for in the first place (eg search the boot for stolen goods etc).

So it seems like Mr Plod, at the street level at least, has a vested interest in us having dodgy number plates!

Reply to
BobC

maybe there should be a limit of the size and position of the B pillar

Reply to
Mike Dodd