OBD2

I am keen to try diagnostic testing on my Ka (early 2002). Unfortunately, I know nothing at all about it beyond the fact that the system is called OBD2 (or maybe EOBD for European cars?). I have found the connector on the car, and it's not a type I recognise.

Does anybody know of an idiot's guide website that gives the lowdown?

Grateful for any help.

Russell

Reply to
Russell

Checkout

HTH

Reply to
Kippers

Nothing listed in Autodata. The diagnostic socket isn't much use unless you have several £k to buy the kit to connect to it.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Dervman's done it on his KA. He'll probably be along soon, but you can try his website, it's dervman dot com.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Well you could spend several £k but buying an adapter & the software for a PDA would seem a lot more sensible.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Hve you a link for that? I couldn't find anything when I searched, but I would be very interested.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

For a fairly generic one

only thing I've got new enough to need it's an Audi for which
better. IIRC DErvman was running this
on his Ka

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks very much for the help - it's just what I'm looking for.

Russell

Reply to
Russell

Or if you don't mind a bit of soldering/electronics

do some cheap kit with free software based on the decoder chips from

the Ka would almost certainly need the J1850 (ELM320 chip) based version.

I've had the ISO9141-2 version working on a Toyota Yaris but it wouldnt work on my '98 Peugeot 406 which has the OBD socket but no support for it in the ECU. Post 2000 cars should all be OK as there are EU requirements for it.

HTH

Chris K

Reply to
CJK

I'm a bit pushed for time this morning, but have a browse to

then along to ModifiKations, then down to OBD-II....

Reply to
DervMan

Do you know whether J1850 VPW or J1850 PWM?

Reply to
Russell

I'm a bit pushed for time this morning, but have a browse to

then along to ModifiKations, then down to OBD-II....

I'm working through your site at the moment - it's a real mine of information!

Russell

Reply to
Russell

Ford are usually PWM unless they are rebadging other manufacturers. Eg the Probe is ISO 9141-2 'cos it is of Japanese origin.

CJK

Reply to
CJK