Anyone know of an inexpensive K+CAN obd2 diagnostic cable (or K+DCAN) with pins 7 and 8 intact?

I'm looking for a diagnostic cable for an older BMW E39 of 2002 vintage without the 20-pin round pacman connector, so I only need the 16-pin standard obd2 connector.

Most cable ads don't say if both pin 7 and pin 8 K lines are intact. Most K+DCAN cables have the 8th pin disconnected (for the newer bimmers). Only some K+CAN cables have both the 8th and 8th pin k lines connected.

If you have an older bimmer, do you have a good source for the dual K- line K+CAN cable that is reliable?

Reply to
Jordan

The question is far too technical for this ng.

Reply to
Misha

Not really, if it were for a newer model I could have answered the question, but as it is I had about a 20 model year break in my BMW experiences.

I would recommend checking at Bimmerfest or similar if you don't get a quick answer here.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks Nate.

I'll move the discussion there as I hadn't realized so few here know anything about using diagnostic software to troubleshoot issues.

The great thing about bimmers and beemers is that the same exploded diagrams and diagnostic tools that the dealer has is available to everyone.

So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best with INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

Having the same tools as the dealer makes working on bimmers easier, especially since anyone owning one could go broke if they didn't do their own diagnostic scans and DIY mechanical work themselves.

:)

Reply to
Jordan

Fleabay should have them.

Reply to
Eddie Powalski

I've heard tell that some of them are good, some not so much. I do have to admit to having a $30 eBay cable, but I can't recommend it to the OP because his car is older and it won't work on his. I've also heard of eBay cables just not working.

This one:

is the one that is consistently recommended on E90Post as being pro quality, guaranteed to work. However again that won't work for the OP, but presumably OSE offers something else that will.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know how to find and read a dipstick.

Reply to
T0m $herman

+1 !

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Geoff Welsh said

I know several Bimmer owners who ARE dipsticks. :-)

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

I find Beemer owners to generally be of a better class than Bimmer owners.

Reply to
T0m $herman

T0m $herman said

I could see that. It's harder to appear stuffy and aloof on a Beemer.

(Awaiting the flames this thread will surely create) :-)

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

motorcycle people are generally a more aware section of society in general. there's nothing like mortality awareness to keep your focus on the stuff that matters.

Reply to
jim beam

Trick question - you check the oil level through the iDrive screen :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My brother thinks that the oil pressure light tells you when you need oil. In a way, he's right, I suppose.

Reply to
dsi1

I prefer a dipstick to a sight glass - particularly on a motorcycle without a center-stand. The dipstick also lets you see the color of the oil.

Then there is Denise McCluggage, who reported having lots of men look at her like she was stupid for having chains on the front wheels and pouring oil in the gas tank - of course she was driving a SAAB 96.

Reply to
T0m $herman

Sadly, this is generalizable to most car owners in general today.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I would agree but some bimmer owners do their own maintenance.

Maybe not as much as the beamer owners, but they can do dealer diagnostics at home with INPA and they can code the vehicle in their garage.

Reply to
Pat

Hi, Some at Bimmer forum will know better for this info. Yes, my friend has M and he does lot of work himself on it.

2 years ago local dealer sent him to Germany when he ordered the vehicle.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Codes? I just clean the carb now and then. Who needs codes?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You can always try the Chinese site

got a cheap code reader for the PC there.

Reply to
m6onz5a