Car pack-ups

What do you have in your car for emergencies?

I have:

Large & Small Zip-Ties Foot Pump Leatherman Small Change a Leatherman Wheel changing gear and spare tyre (Came with car) Jump leads AA membership card!

Have I forgotten anything? What do you all have?

Reply to
Travis

Tow Rope and First Aid Kit.

It's not always a mechanical breakdown you have to deal with.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

I have a tow-bar, tenner from machine-mart.

I need a tow bar cos i have a peugeot...

Andy

Reply to
akd

Small tool box containing basic tools, duct tape, cable ties, bits of fuel pipe, etc. Foot pump. Tow rope. Spare wheel. Wheel brace. Trolley jack (smallish cheapo one in it's own plastic case). Complete spare distributer with correctly set points. Spare Stromberg carb diaphragm. Oil. Water. Brake fluid. A spare fuse (lives in the fuse box with the other two). Sponge (handy for bailing if/when rain gets in). Walking boots. Hat. And a shovel if it looks like snow.

In case you're wondering, the car's 36 years old and benefits from a bit of weight over the rear wheels.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I have a tow rope that hooks onto a loop on my tow-hitch.

I only carry a tow rope cos I have a diesel Escort.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

The message from snipped-for-privacy@spam.vlaad.co.uk (Paul Cummins) contains these words:

Tow poles are better. Though mine's had to be modified 'cos the Montego's rear lashing eye wasn't suitable being too high up under the bumper. So I welded a tow coupling to the end of the pole and jolly good it is, too.

Except word's got around the neighbours and I keep having to rescue them.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Willy Eckerslyke contains these words:

I'm 43 and could benefit from considerably less weight over my rear axle.

Reply to
Guy King

Lol

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Tow-rope Breakdown membership First Aid kit Reflective Jacket

Im the sort of person that will stop to help people if they have broken down especially if in precarious places (blind bends, motorways etc) so first thing I do is get out a reflective jacket.

Many times I have towed cars away from the main carriageway with a view to reducing the tailback that they have just caused by breking down etc so tow rope is a must for me

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I once stopped to help some 17year old *kids* try and start an escort on the roadside, spent nearly 10mins turning it over on jump leads from my

3litre Volvo. It turned over faster than it ever had on it's own battery.

After 10 very frustrating minuits, and the kids cooing over the massive Volvo engine and asking for a *go*, they wondered if they had to put petrol in the scort!

My stupid fault for not checking the guage!!!

Andy

Reply to
akd

Mobile phone and AA card

Reply to
Malc

Possibly a fire extinguisher (missed by the other replies at the time I downloaded the headers)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

My Vitesse doesn't have towing eyes, front or back, so a pole's not much good for me. I did borrow a towing pole once and found it a bit fiddly to set up, so for a real emergency when the priority is to get the car out of traffic as quick as possible, I'd prefer a rope with proper D shaped shackles on the ends. Incidentally, despite its age the Vitesse has always been the one doing the towing so far. I hope that's not tempting fate too much...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I'll be saying the same in a couple of months.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

How about a torch in case you have to use some of the above at night?

Reply to
topcat11uk

Yup, I forgot about that, I keep an LED one in the glovebox.

I did once have to change a wheel on an old Viva in pitch dark entirely by touch and managed in about the time it would have taken me in daylight. Being employed as a darkroom technician may have helped there.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

A few feet of fencing wire. Invaluable. Especially if you run an older car. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

A 2.0 six?

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

I've got an orange flashy beacon, and a pair of vice grips not much else realy (A 15 yo french car and a 20 yo LR)

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

In news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, Travis decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I keep the following in the boot

Small Halfords socket set Tow Rope Jump Leads (Weapons Grade) few bits of wire, connectors etc Overalls Foot Pump

Most of which are well handy..

Reply to
Pete M