Odd (Intermittent) Hydraulic Problem

A really odd one here. My car has a hydraulic clutch which is behaving really oddly. Most of the time it works perfectly. Foot down. Clutch disengages. Foot up. Clutch engages. From time to time however the pedal just goes what I can only call floppy. When you press it your foot just sinks to the floor with almost no resistance and the clutch doesn't disengage at all. If you lift your foot again however it usually is working the next time. The reservoir is full, the fluid is newish and there is no sign of corrosion or bits separating from each other. I am completely puzzled. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The car is an old Hyundai Pony X2 which also has a starter inhibitor attached to the clutch pedal but this is working perfectly.

Reply to
harry

Sounds like the clutch slave cylinder needs replacing.

Reply to
SteveH

Could be either master cylinder or slave cylinder problem. If there is no leak at the slave then it is almost certainly the master cylinder. Before replacing it flush the system through with fresh fluid as there may be only a bit of crud stuck somewhere.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Master cylinder, not slave.

Reply to
SimonJ

He's getting the same symptoms I got when my slave cylinder failed, although I kept driving it until it went to the floor and wouldn't come back up again.

Reply to
SteveH

If the slave had failed, the fluid would be leaking out.

Reply to
SimonJ

: When you press it your : foot just sinks to the floor with almost no resistance and the clutch : doesn't disengage at all. If you lift your foot again however it : usually is working the next time. The reservoir is full, the fluid is : newish and there is no sign of corrosion or bits separating from each : other.

The one-way valve between the reservoir and the master cylinder is occasionally sticking open.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

The what??????????

Reply to
SimonJ

: > The one-way valve between the reservoir and the master cylinder is : > occasionally sticking open. : >

: The what??????????

On a coupleof may cars there is a valve between the reservoir and the clutch master cylinder. This is so that after the clutch cover plate has pushed the slave cylinder piston back, fluid from the reservoir makes up the rest of the master cylinder piston travel: it's how the self adjusting works. If this valve sticks open, perhaps because of a piece of dirt, the master cylinder piston simply pushes fluid back into the reservoir when the pedal is pressed. In my experience it's a good way of getting an odd intermittent clutch failure.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

On all the master cylinders I have worked on, the self adjusting works by having a transfer port from the reservoir to the cylinder which is open whenever the cylinder is at rest, but as soon as you press the pedal the seal on the piston covers the port, and pressurises the system. If it was done using a one way valve, it would not work as there would be nowhere for the fluid to go when it expands due to engine heat etc.

Reply to
SimonJ

: > On a coupleof may cars there is a valve between the reservoir and the : > clutch master cylinder. This is so that after the clutch cover plate : > has pushed the slave cylinder piston back, fluid from the reservoir : > makes up the rest of the master cylinder piston travel: it's how the : > self adjusting works.

: On all the master cylinders I have worked on, the self adjusting works by : having a transfer port from the reservoir to the cylinder which is open : whenever the cylinder is at rest, but as soon as you press the pedal the : seal on the piston covers the port, and pressurises the system.

Maybe it's changed then. I can send you a spare one-way reservoir valve for a Girling 5/8" master cylinder if you want!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

I think they do normally have a one-way valve, but on the ones I've seen, it's been built into the piston assembly rather than a separate item.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

No taa, don't strip en these days, just chuck a new one on

Reply to
SimonJ

Sounds the most likely to me. Many thanks for all who replied.

On a further note does anyone know a likely supplier of an overhaul kit. Hyundai only sell a new cylinder and want £150 for it which is probably more than the entire car is worth and ADL only sell the slave.

Alternatively do the piston rubber seals come in standard sizes which I could match up in my local factors? For the moment I will flush it with fresh fluid and if that doesn't work then all I can think of is to take the cylinder apart and twist the piston slightly so that fresh rubber is pointing back up at the reservoir. Or would that be as likely to work as wrapping magnets round it?

Harry

Reply to
harry

If it is not leaking, then a strip clean and reassemble may work wonders. A breakers will be the best source of parts or buy a complete car as a spares kit.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful