90 Clutch Advice please...

My clutch pedal is behaving a little oddly... Put it to the floor and disengage the clutch; no problem. Lift the clutch and it engages fine and behaves normally until you get towards the top of its travel. Rather than being smooth to the top position it seems to catch an inch or two from the top and then flick up. Odd sensation and a bit hard to describe; the weight of the pedal changes. Severity varies but its only suddenly started doing this in the last two days. Sometimes I can lift my foot off and as I do the clutch jumps up the last bit of travel and firmly slaps the sole of my foot.

I can't see anything externally wrong. No leaking clutch fluid, no bent pedals or broken springs. However, I'm worried!

Any ideas???

thanks,

M.

Reply to
McBad

I have a good guess that it's the clutch fork thats collapsing. This is a well known manufacuring fault and are prone to breaking where the release bearing housing pins fit in the fork, the clutch being that heavy. It went on my 110CSW and I have simlar problems to you. Dave

Reply to
Dave Piggin

My guess would be that it's the pedal itself rather than the brake system. Bit obvious, but try a squirt of WD40 on the pedal pivot to make sure it's free, and check that you're not catching on the edge of a mat or carpet. After that, you need to check the pedal movement from all angles, looking for something physically catching as it moves. Only then should you start to investigate the system, and I would be starting with the master cylinder.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Thanks Rich. It's got worse through the day to the point that I had to flick it back up with my toe a couple of times this afternoon, because it was sticking on the up swing and not returning to the top position. I'll be going out there now to have a poke round and see if I can find any answers.

M.

Reply to
McBad

Had a similar problem with my 110 - was the master cylinder sticking, and i solved it temporarily (over a year now, touch wood) by taking the cover off, peeling back the boot and stuffing the back of the cylinder with rubber grease. JD

Reply to
JD

Hmm. Investigations show that the fluid reservoir was m/t. Not sure about where it is leaking out; piston rod on master cylinder seems slightly damp but it is not running down the clutch pedal. Can't see any external leaks which implies a leak from the slave cylinder into the bell housing. Is this likely / possible? I've refilled the reservoir and will see if there is any improvement tomorrow or if there is brake fluid in the drivers foot well. If no clear answer I'll try the rubber grease; cheaper than new cylinders and easier than new seal sets!

Cheers,

M.

Reply to
McBad

The clutch fork on my 1988 90 collapsed the other day. It did not behave like this at all. The clutch pedal just became stuck all of a sudden on the way down, most likely because the slave cylinder was pushed all the way out and didnt return because the fork was ruined. This would certainly sound like the pedal pivot giving you a hard time.

Reply to
Olafur Agust

Did some investigating. I don't think it is the clutch pivot arm in the bell housing collapsing.

Clutch fluid reservoir was all but m/t so I refilled that and things have improved, although there is still a slight feeling of 'not returning to the upper limit of travel properly'. What worries me now is where did the clutch fluid go - it doesn't just evaporate? Perhaps very slight dampness on the back of the pedal but that might be my over active imagination, no real sign of wetness anywhere... I'll keep an eye on it an see if the level drops again.

Off up to Abergavenny this morning so that will give me a decent test run.

Cheers,

M.

Reply to
McBad