Oil extractor ?

I've come across these a few times over the past year and wondered if it could be useful for oil changes, but I'm sceptical if it will remove the crap at the bottom of the sump ? It would make oil changes a breeze, that said I would still have the get under the car to remove the tray to get at the filter, so its not much more work to undo a sump plug and collect the oil. I guess its a bit cleaner with the pump.

Just wondering if its worth a punt or if I should stick to the old trusty ways :)

Reply to
Matthews

I've got one of those. It's a lot easier than removing the sump plug, particularly on older cars where the plug is likely to seize or round-off.

I think the instructions say to run the engine for a bit to try mobilise the muck into the oil. I've no idea how much muck is left at the bottom of the sump with this method.

Reply to
RustyCrampon

One review in your posted link suggests it leaves half a litre in the sump; I would be reasonably confident that draining by conventional methods would remove much closer to all of it.

Only really useful if you have something like an early Smart car that has no drain plug.

Personally, I'd stick to doing it properly...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

One review in your posted link suggests it leaves half a litre in the sump; I would be reasonably confident that draining by conventional methods would remove much closer to all of it.

Only really useful if you have something like an early Smart car that has no drain plug.

Personally, I'd stick to doing it properly...

Chris

That's interesting didn't know smart cars did not have a plug! You could always pick it up and turn it upside down

Yeah I'll stick to the tried and trusted method never failed me.

Reply to
Matthews

And that oil would be diluted as well.

Some years ago there were garages that had such commercial machine to drain the oil - they didn't stay around very long.

Reply to
Rob

I have an oil extractor ( sorry, I cannot get the link to work to see if it the same model as mine), and it depends on the design of the sump as to how much oil can be drained via the sump plug.

After removing the sump plug, and leaving the car to drain for an hour of so, until the drip rate is less than one per 20 seconds or so, I can still get more oil out with the extractor.

As I have stated before, on *some* vehicles, around half a litre is left in the sump that cannot drain out using normal methods.

It can also suck oil from the filter housing further reducing the contamination of the new oil.

David

Reply to
David

Having taken 2 sumps off recently I can tell you that there was quite a bit left in the bottom. Even the one that was drained with the car parked so sump sloped towards the sump plug.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Why? It still has to be removed at same (or lower) intervals than on "new" engines. Modern engines run on synth oil tend to have much longer oil change interval.

You should have got a new one or used the right tool in the first place. I think that's why so many sump plugs now use hex socket or Torx so the ape can't just bodge an adjustable on it. Of course the ape took to using a big flat blade screwdriver wedged into the points of the Torx with the adjustable on the flats of the screwdriver, so they had to put a pip in the middle to stop that. The ape reaches for it's cordless drill, removes the pip and continues to use the big flat bladed screwdriver.

Reply to
Peter Hill

For the cost of a sump plug and washer (and its usally the washer thats the problem should be changed when you replace the oil)

Reply to
steve robinson