Extractor Exhaust

I just installed an extractor exhaust from thunderbird. This model replaces the heater boxes. I'm a little worried as the #3 exhaust runner is about 1/8 inch from the pushrod tubes. This design seems as if it would cook the oil returning to the sump from the head. I Know there will be air flow from the fan in this area but when I shut down the heat from the exhaust rises strait into the tubes. Am I paranoid or is this just too stupid for words? It is so close that there is no way to install the clamps to the slip joints.

Does anyone know if the bugpack system runs on this same path?

Theo

Reply to
Theo McCormick

Radiant heat is a bad thing. 1/8" is too close. Airflow across the pipe won't help because radiant heat is infra-red, impervious to wind. You can't blow a flashlight beam aside. See how that works?

So here's what you do. Wrap the header. I use the graphic-impregnated wrap. That's JEG'S part #893-11021.

That keeps the heat in the pipe, and away from your engine.

The clue here is to wrap as much as the header as you can - right up to the muffler input flage is good. Remember that this 'moves' the heat exchange to the place where the wrap ends so it's REAL HOT there. (Better there than at your heads.) If your muffler is close to the rear apron, you might blister the apron. Unlikely, but possible. If that happens, then wrap the muffler, too and don't stand real close to the exhaust pipe exit when it's running. :)

Reply to
jjs

Are you sure you installed the j-tubes right? Maybe you mixed them up L&R. They are not suposed to go anywhere neqar pushrod tubes, but rather just below the heads. This applies to the "typical" Bugcrap etc. brand header kits. Can't see how you could fit teh rest of it on if the J tubes got swapped though. Just something that came to mind.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Yes, I got the tubes right (OK, I will go double check....wouldn't be the first time I screwed up...), it is a strange design the j-tubes are way inboard of the head. About 1/3 of the length of the pushrod tubes. It looks like it would be a good design for ground clearance but I'm worried that an exhaust scrape over a speed bump might bend it into the tubes.

Any recommendations for an extractor, no heaterboxes, in a Karman Ghia. This is for the Autocross Ghia I've been working on. 69x88.

Theo

Reply to
Theo McCormick

John - That graphic-impregnated wrap you use... Sounds interesting. Does it have pictures of icebergs and ice-covered lakes and such?

-BH (I NEVER make tpyos!)

McCormick"

This model replaces

runner is about 1/8

across the pipe

to wind. You

graphic-impregnated

Reply to
Busahaulic

oops. Maybe a Guinness graphic. :) GRAPHITE! That's what I meant. Sorry!

Reply to
jjs

How thick is this stuff? He only has 1/8" to work with.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

He's got to have more than 1/8th inch, and I'll bet he does. Otherwise, IMHO, he's got no choice but to not use those J PIpes. Way too close.

Reply to
jjs

BFH.

Reply to
Shaggie

Haha, just what I was about to write.. BFH and MIG. Can't live without.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Yep, after a long look and a few friends opinions I'm not going to use these pipes. I think I will order a bugpack extractor or somthing a little more reasonable. Even if I could wrap the pipe I'm worried it will bend into the pushrod tubes when I bottom out the car. The car sure does like the 1 5/8 pipes.

Theo

Reply to
Theo McCormick