Oil Question

Would any clever bods out there be able to tell me if Castrol GTX 10W-40 is mineral or synthetic. Also is it safe to use in a 1.4 8V Grande Punto (Petrol).

Fiat say only use their Selinia - but I suppose they would say that at £££'s per litre.

Many Thanks!

Reply to
Matt

"Matt" wrote

It's mineral.

It is widely stated on Ford forums that Ford oil is better than anything else for a Ford, it might be worth biting the bullet and getting FIAT's recommended oil.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

It must have improved since I used it last then; it was foul stuff.

And let's face it, this is a Punto - most quality oils will probably outlast the engine! ;-)

Reply to
asahartz

"asahartz" wrote

most quality oils will probably

Chicken & Egg.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Not really no, the Formula E stuff is not even a semi-synthetic, and is only

*just* good enough for its intended purpose. There are better 5w-30's about for less ££.

tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Look at the container? Like all these well known brands, the formula changes over the years. But GTX is now a budget oil so unlikely to be at the cutting edge of technology. You'll easily get a better spec oil for the same price though. GTX sells on its name.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm sure the likes of ECP or GSF would be able to provide you with an oil made to Fiat's spec for £10 a gallon.

Reply to
Doki

Well I did. Hence asking

Reply to
Matt

According to their web site it's mineral

Reply to
Digby

If it doesn't state synthetic or semi synthetic it's dino.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And even if it does say semi-synth it can just be reconstituted dino. If youre going to splash out on synth, get the proper ester based fully synth. Otherwise get cheapo dino and change more often. IMO.

Reply to
CoyoteBoy