Oil - tetrosyl

Local Morrisons are selling this for about =A33 per 4 litres, is it any good? The engine is a 1.6 skoda/VW/whatever petrol (1998 year).

I was going to buy this rather than the much more expensive castrol/big brand, but it would only ever be used for topping up between services.

Any advice/words of warning?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
conkersack

that is very cheap, I would not risk it. I seem to remember some cheap oils carry a 'engine health' warning.. you probably want somthing in between that and the big brand stuff.

Simon

Reply to
srp

Oh, ok then. Cheers all the same.

Reply to
conkersack

That does really seem to be too cheap although I suppose it could be a sale price. I generally use the oil from Screwfix which is about £6 per gallon.

for basic oil or for semi synth
which is about £8 or the cheaper stuff from GSFCarparts which IIRC is about £9

Reply to
Malc

What's the API rating of the oil? What's the API rating in your handbook? If your car (handbook) demands a better rating then the oil leave it.

If it is the same or better, the go for it. Methinks it is the same or better rating than your Skoda (VW/etc)

Reply to
Woof

IMRC, without going out to the garage this early in the morning, I don't think there is any API rating shown on the containers.

I *suspect* from the colour it is reconditioned?/recycled?/reblended? from waste oil.

(hangs his head in shame) I use Morrisons oil in my 740 Volvo, which is now pushing 1/4 million miles, do you think this will have any long term implications for the (original) engine?

PS before the MR2 was so cruelly written off, I *always* bought proper expensive oil for this car; actually there must be some sort of lesson there

Reply to
Steptoe

Never buy cheap oil. How much is your car worth?

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Waste oil is used to make tarmac, AFAIK.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable