Older diesel cars

Which are the best older diesel engines? Ones that'll run on chip fat if necessary and are good for a squillion miles?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

"Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

PSA XUD.

Reply to
Adrian

Wossee say?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Ah, gotcha!

Ta, thanks to Wiki.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

"Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The bog standard '80s/90s Pug/Cit pre-HDi wheezel.

1.7/1.7t/1.9/1.9t, depending on what it's in - 306, 405, 406, ZX, Xsara, BX, Xant, Rover 418d are the most common recipients.
Reply to
Adrian

Old XUD from Citroen/Peugeot, if you want to run SVO make sure it has a Bosch pump. I love mine ;)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Rover L Series. All of them will run on SVO, but avoid the non- intercooled variants.

Reply to
Andy Tucker

Wahoo! I've got a car that's trendy for something! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Rover 218SD (1.9 n/t) nearly 200,squillion miles but not tasted chip fat yet (that I know of).

Reply to
T i m

As stated elsewhere, the Xantia TD is the daddy.

Reply to
Pete M

Indeed it is. They love SVO too IME. Pity it's now the same price as diesel in the supermarkets :-(

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Forget old cars, current ASTRA H and VECTRA cars will run on kerosene without any problem. A lot of people running the cars on the vauxhall motors scheme do it and save a fortune. Kerosene is sold as heating oil and is a lot cheaper than diesel. There are places you can buy it easily!

Reply to
Rob

None if this is anything to go by:

Unless you mean biodiesel.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

There are also places who are wise to it and are very careful about who they sell it to.

Reply to
Doki

"...

The Daddy has to be the Volvo 740 760 series with the 6 cylinder vw engine best in my opinion with the auto.Actually runs better on supermarket oil.Smells nice to and less smoke.

Reply to
Capt T

A diesel Volvo eh? Now there's a thought I hadn't thunk...

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot