OT: Compressor and air tools.

Hi,

I have just got a compressor and am now looking at getting some air tools and probably a spay gun..

The compressor is a Airmate T3/100-SRB with the following specs..

MODEL: T3/100-SRB. (230V) : 06634 RECEIVER SIZE LITRES: 100 MOTOR HP: 3.0 (2.2KW) AIR DISPLACEMENT CFM: 13.0 (368 L/MIN) MAXIMUM FREE AIR DELIVERY CFM: 9.1 (258 L/MIN) FREE AIR AIR DELIVERY CFM: 7.8 (221 L/MIN) MAXIMUM PRESSURE PSI; 131 (9 BAR)

I know that when choosing tools and specifically a spray gun I need to make sure there the tools don't require more air than the compressor can provide..

So the question is which flow rate should I be using for choosing tools since the specs above give three different flow rate values??

Also if anyone has any suggestions of sites that have good prices on air tools please let me know the addresses..

Thanks..

Reply to
WipeOut

You need a compressor with a bigger receiver tank otherwise you're goig to be spending alot of time waiting for it to refill.

Reply to
Conor

For just a home workshop I think it should be ok, I am just using it for my own DIY activities and if I have to wait on it avery now and then its fine..

Reply to
WipeOut

================= Have a look at:

The air requirements are given for each tool / accessory BUT some of the figures can be optimistically misleading. Ask for confirmation of figures before you buy.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Reply to
Gary Millar

Thanks for the information..

I will look for tools that need 7.8cfm or less..

I presume I could use tools with higher requirements but they would drain the tank faster than the pump could replace the air so I would have to wait for it to fill every now and then..

Reply to
WipeOut

Yes. Nailguns are fine for that sort of issue, impact wrenches are iffy, drills useless & sprayguns are a disaster if the compressors underpowered.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Yea, for a spray gun I would make sure and get one with a 7cfm or less requirement..

For the most part I will try and make sure that everything I get requires less than 7cfm but if a tool requires 8 or 9 it should be ok..

Reply to
WipeOut

Briefly :-) If it's a sander,die grinder or anything you use semicontinously then no.

Reply to
Duncanwood

found that out the hard way :) drill is ok, the grinder is ok, but they all need serious on off periods as the moment you turn them on the air tends to drop somewhat rapidly you will also find that the compressor is almost always on when you use them because the tanks will just empty really REALLY fast

the one that kills it though is the reciprocating saw, I get possibly 20 seconds out of it and then it's just bollocked

it's wicked for things like ratchets and guns and even the chisels do major damage while the tanks are pumped up

Reply to
dojj

What size compressor are you using? ..and what is the FAD CFM rating of the compressor and the CFM requirements of the tools?

Just so I cane get an idea..

Thanks

Reply to
WipeOut

I think it's got a 50 litre tank but let me find out what model it is first

Reply to
dojj

Clarke air 50

225 l/min 1.5 hp that's about it, the rest is covered in blue paint :(
Reply to
dojj

Mine is a 100l 3hp so should handle continued loads a little better.. Obviosly it will still drain I am sure, just maybe not as quick..

Thanks for the information..

Reply to
WipeOut

100 litres is a decent-sized tank for home use, though even my 200litre tank drains and runs the motor when I'm spraying (DeVilbiss JGA gun). As others have said, some tools will be OK, some will struggle. The FAD figure is a better guide. You have as big a motor as you can use on single-phase anyway.

I use my pair of old Tiger 35s in a secure enclosure _outside_ my garage to supply my air-fed mask too - best investment I've made. Stops me poisoning myself!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Thanks Chris..

Reply to
WipeOut

i normally use it to just undo and tighten nuts and bolts, machine mart sells a whole box full of stuff you will need for around the £170 mark

Reply to
dojj